I'm having trouble learning my major scales in 3rds

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by KTandCompany, Feb 22, 2014.

1. KTandCompany

KTandCompany New Friend

Apr 29, 2013
    Chillinois
    What are some tips you have for learning these? I'm having trouble learning these, which is strange because I'm very comfortable with my major scales.
    It's like it's a trumpet tongue twister for me. It hurts my head.
    Thanks.

2. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Instead of doing it in the normal pattern, 1-3-2-4-3-5 etc. Repeat each interval several times, e.g. 1-3, 1-3, 1-3; 2-4, 2-4, 2-4; etc. Repeat each interval three or four times, then, as it becomes more natural to you, gradually reduce the number of repeats. I think you can't think quickly enough with each change, so what you're doing here is slowing the changing down.

Another exercise is to practice the changes between intervallic patterns. That is, //: 1-3, 2-4 :// many times. Then //: 2-4, 3-5 :// many times, and onward.
    You can also riff off of this idea by expanding gradually the patterns, e.g. //: 1-3, 2-4, 3-5 :// etc.

Also, very important, don't do it any faster than you can without making ~any~ mistakes. Playing through mistakes may be good for sight-reading practice but not for digital coordination. Remember, your muscles will remember whatever you train them to remember - the bad with the good.

3. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    "Scale Force" by Rich Willey.