I'm horrid, and getting worse........

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gregc, Jan 23, 2007.

1. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    I can't figure it out, literally,

Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  2. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    Greg,

I’m sure that everyone has gone through what you’re experiencing (I know that I have). The great thing about studying privately, in my experience, is that my instructors have always been able to help me relax and play my best. Whatever the issue may be for you, having someone simply model a relaxed great sound is what you need right now. Your teacher can then give you some encouraging words and help you to simply relax and play.

I’m guessing that you probably just overdid something in your practice, and once you are able to relax and get back to “your soundâ€, then you can start troubleshooting with your teacher to see what might have knocked you off the track.

By all means, never feel embarrassed about meeting with your instructor. They are there to encourage and guide you.

Good luck!

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Amen! This is what instructors get paid for. Be sure to include everything when talking about it. New girlfriends, diets, religions, political parties, etc. Start with the question, "is this just a trumpet thing?" and work down to the particulars. The solution is findable, and you'll gain some awesome insight as a result of the experience.

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Write again tomorrow and let us know how the lesson goes. Maybe you'll have a better idea of what's going on.

ML

5. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    one thing that Doc stressed years ago when holding a clinic was that playing a trumpet is a Physical activity - - eat right, exercise and get plenty of rest. just a thought. Dave

6. (Trumpet)(2009)

(Trumpet)(2009) New Friend

Jan 1, 2007
    Everyone has these periods of, for lack of a better word, crappiness. I think Dave Mickley has a good point. Keep busy and stay active. Tell your teacher what's going on. He is probably the single person who knows most about your playing aside from you, and he is there to help you improve. It will pass. Practice with balance and dillegence, even if you think it sounds horrible. And we all have days where we simply sound bad. The ups and downs are all part of playing the Trumpet. You will never get anywhere by being frustrated. Do your absolute best, but that is all you can do for now. It is great that you are passionate about making the best possible sound you can. Now take that and work it constructively into your playing. There is a time to be hard on yourself, and there is a time to lighten up.

Keep us posted on your progress!

7. BADBOY-DON

BADBOY-DON Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Gig Harbor Wa.
    It really SUCKS....when these demons....gather round our heads, so with that I truly believe in that Biblical saying: When two or more are gather in his name...amazing things can happen.

I too believe in that same power...especially when two or more mottly mortals are also gathered together-----------why not get hold of some of your favorite friends (NOT EVEN NECESSARY THAT THEY BE MUSICIAN FRIENDS...and see what happens?
    Call them up! Hang with them for a while...try funneling the conversation toward what has been on your mind and what has been bothering you and see what happens?
    Perhaps even diggin' out some of your favorite old recordings or music that you have enjoyed in the past.
    Trumpet is so much a head to ear thing....even listening to some beautiful passages.....that touch your spirit.
    Pick up that horn and try to capture that same moment for yourself. Maybe the head n' ears and chops can get together again. DON'T OVER THINK THINGS...JUST LET THE MUSIC FLOW...

Uhhh? That thought about two or more gathered together in prayer, when you think about it....has mooooooooooooved many mountains that have seemed impossible to this ol' badboy sooooo many times in the past.
    hummm?
    This one's for you...
    May the Good Lord take a likin' to ya (this time) Opps!! Likin' and Lickin' are pretty close to the same thing...first the Lickin' and then the Likin' is always the answer we should be searchin for n' allthatjazz.:)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  8. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    This may sound silly, but when was the last time you cleaned your horns and mouthpieces. Sometimes, when the green gunk builds up, your playing can be horribly affected.
    Also, maybe you are just having trouble playing, but what's coming out of the bell is fine, but you are getting to frustrated to realize it.

9. Lawler Bb

Lawler Bb Piano User

Oct 25, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    A couple things......

Have faith in yourself. You've done it once, you can do it again. You know you can play well.

I had an experience just like this on a larger scale about two years ago. I made a huge downward spiral during the last semester of my Master's degree. I came into the semester going gangbusters....best I had ever played, only to slowly lose range, precision, and sound. My body slowly built up more and more tension until I could hardly stand it. Sometimes I sounded like a middle school trumpet player. This went on for FIVE months. For the first time in my life I started to think I would have to hang it up. My graduate recital loomed at the end of the semester. I'll just say it was much less than I desired. During the semester I thought I tried everything, trying to get out of my slump. I took extra lessons, with my primary teacher and other teachers. I tried to really anaylze what I was doing, and so on. Here's what did it for me:

After my recital and graduation, I put the horn in the case for two weeks. Didn't touch them or think about it once. After the two weeks, I really missed playing so I started up again. My lips felt like a clean slate. I picked an approach that I knew was successful and with very slow determination I began my renewal process. I was able to recall and apply much of what I learned in the last seven years of school because of my slow pace. It gave me time to really examine some concepts. After about one month, things were looking very good. After three months I was playing the best I ever had, and to this day things continue to get better. Now, I am not a world-class player by any stretch, but I am certainly happy with my progress and I look forward to what's ahead.

10. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    OK. I had my lesson last night and we brain-stormed. Rather large progress was made, I believe.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2007