I'm horrid, and getting worse........

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gregc, Jan 23, 2007.

1. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    Yea.. see, I play guitar in a classic rock band. That gets my giggin' jones out. I've been looking forward to playing trumpet in a rock band horn section &/or community band but have not had the opportunity as of yet. Seems like trumpet players are dime/dozen round these parts... ALMOST as plentiful as guitar players. I sure know how to pick em! Every time I see an ad for a community band and I call, they say they're swamped with trumpeters....
    I'll find sum'tin soon though.......

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Consider some baby steps -- take the Hummel in small, bite sized portions after your 20 minutes of basics. Try a phrase a day, starting with the last, and work backwards. Remember that every trumpet player we admire, and even most that we don't, have put in tens of thousands of hours! That's how Wynton got to sound like Wynton, Manny like Manny, rowuk like rowuk, etc. Keep at it, have fun, and if need be, lower your expectations without lowering your standards.

3. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    Thanks, Bro. I think you have good ideas. I'm lis'nin. For info purposes only:
    1: my teacher put me on the Hummel. I figured if he laid it on me, I must be 'up to it'. He thought so, apparently, at least at that time.
    2: The past 6 months or so I've been limited to ~ 1 hour/day, in a single sitting. The previous 2 years, I found a way to get in probably closer to 2 hours/day, broken into 2-3 periods. Still, I know, it's not a LOT of total time on the horn. I'm trying to get back to 1.5 hr+/day, broken up into 2-3 sessions/day again. It's tough when you work a regular job, have kids, another instrument, band, etc... but I won't use any of that for excuses. No room or time for that now~
    Thanks again,
    Greg

4. skankin'dan

skankin'dan Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg
    happened to me too
    I used to be able to hit a good toned "e", but 2 days later i could barely hit an f....

I tried everything too, cleaned my trumpet, tried someone elses, tried different mouthpiece, new mouth positions.
    The thing to do it just play alot and eventually it should come back.

5. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    Sometimes the mechanics just get a little out of whack.

Congrats Greg, sounds like your teacher "fixed your swing" and your back in the groove.