I'm in a funk right now :(

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Aarix, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Aarix

Aarix New Friend

Dec 24, 2010
    Hello friends,

Finally, I'm 1st chair trumpet player, I have the opprotunity to show this small town band what it means to be a brass player, I play out but not too loud, I make the music exciting and I lead the section with disicpline and respect. I felt proud of myself, I don't know if you guys heard of "Big Noise from Winnetka" but the begging chorus I Have as a solo, before actual performance, I ROARED, I got it stuck in everyone's head with high notes galore. But during performance (well the quick practice before) I couldn't play propertly, I don't know what was up, it's like playing bad on guitar hero. I don't think I was nervous but I had this hard solo in the bag. At least I thought, now I Can't play anything without something messing me up. I don't know what's up, my solo now has a couple screw ups and I'm the 1st one heard for melodys. I practice and practice but same thing, I'm very discouraged, my playings not on it. It's like I have it in my head but my lips suck to execute it. :( its never happened before, will this go away cause the band is so small I'm relied on pretty heavily. We have 3 other trumpets, 2 are completely disruptive and wont concentrate and the 2nd chair (like 80% of the band) does not play out at all.

Sorry for the long rambling and I appreciate you reading this is anything I can do? Please tell me this is temporary.

2. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Best advice is to reexamine your true purpose as a lead trumpet player. Think of the others in the group first. Be there to coach your section in a friendly and helpful manner. I think you will find that things will just fall in place for the group and you personally.

3. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

Huge difference between practice room and the stage. On top of that there is a significant difference between the cat who plays once or twice a month for the community band and those that blow five nights/week all year long.

Each different level adds various hoops of fire to jump through. As the physical demands increase the psychological pressure mounts. Experience is the best cure for this however there are certain things you can do to improve your sense of well being. While some cats try deep breathing, Yoga and meditation and this is helpful I've found other tricks.

1. Have a well grooved routine prior to the gig.

A. First of all I plan NO other tasks for the day. Not so easy if you have a regular day job but since I'm retired I can usually eliminate all chores what-so-ever. No laundry, lawn mowing, errands beyond a quick trip to the store etc. The dog is lucky if he even gets a walk.

B. Make sure all stage clothes, trumpet, flugel and accessories are all together, ready and working properly. Just one less matter to have on my mind.

C. Get to the gig a minimum of 15 minutes before the call time.

D. Drink one to one and a half beers or wine during warm up. No more and no less. Your favorite drink. Odd advice and please disregard if you have substance abuse problems. However nothing works better to both speed up my warm up and get my head in gear for a gig. Alcoholics should avoid this trick but generally won't (lol).

E. Take my regular warm up which consists of a preliminary warm up. Only two minutes of quarter to half notes played BELOW the second space A natural. Rest 2 - 4 minutes and increase the register. Rest again and work up to a High C at volume. then do no more playing until gig starts.

In addition there are types of beta blocker meds. I take a blood pressure pill known as "Atenolol". 50 mgs daily for nerves. Is a fantastic way to conquer stage fright.

Another great idea is to develop a HUGE ego. Seriously. Try and convince yourself you are king of it all on the trumpet. Even if you don't feel this way. In fact ESPECIALLY if you don't feel this way. You don't have to run around annoying your buds telling them how great you are but just act and feel PROUD.

A huge ego (if not turned into narcissism which is very annoying and counter-productive) is almost a necessity for lead trumpet playing. You're the prima donna ballerina. Set some demands on the people around you. Example: Read today's facebook post where I dissed the local band college music director for being such disrespectful jerk. Or last year when I went into a hissy fit because the idiot conga player was taking up the whole stage. Said to the band director:

"Do you know who I am? Do you actually think I'm gonna play on this stage with a mere run of the mill conga player who thinks he owns the place? You get that fool out of our way or I'm taking the cab home right now"

Just be sure you have something to back this up.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  4. DCIGene

DCIGene New Friend

Jan 3, 2010
    Alabama
    Aarix,

First of all congrats on the achievement. Not many of us make it to numero uno.

As some of the post before have offered, all this comes with more responsibility than glory. You want to "show the town" but the best way to do that is not try to do it alone.

The best part is that you see room for improvement in your section and you seem to have a handle on what would help each one of them.

Now, this may sound crazy but get your trumpeters together and do something with them all in two areas:

1 - General hang out session. This can be anything you want, just get your crew there and hang out without the trumpets.
    2 - Do something with and just for the trumpets. Many times is there is an ensemble piece or some tune you can all work on together, the smaller ensemble sound will cause the players who may be more timid to play out and really listen to you all as a group. You can use this as a very non-threatening process of encouraging them to get better as you have. Make it "exclusive" and cool to be in the trumpet line and you'll soon find you have a group that supports each other and sounds good playing together all at the same time.

You do these things, you'll be even more "the man" than you thought possible...and you might gain some friends in the process.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Don't overblow.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    anyways -- I think to relax and NOT put pressure on YOU. I mean to actually be friendly to you - but DCIGene has some valid points. The 2 disruptive trumpets are actually, probably "insecure" in their playing -- people don't play out, because ---they are not confident in their abilities ---- especially if they compare them to you. So DCIGene, like me is trying to say -- get a cohesive group that plays together --- I think that will help tremendously.

you see, in my community band --- one of the first chairs told me "joebob is so disruptive because he warms up before the rehearsal starts, and that is so annoying becaue we are trying to talk to one another" -- another first chair states, "I play in several other bands, and I can't understand why people can't show up consistently, and that is why they are second chair" --- This sends the wrong message, in my opinion - don't get me wrong we have 15 trumpet players --- and some are very very proficient ---- BUT DO I (as a beginning 3rd chair) want to associate with the 1st trumpets????? not really, and they said these things to me -- because I made them "friends" and they talk to me. I haven't corrected them as of yet -- I did however - put my mute in and warmed up on the F scale -- all three octaves ---- and did my seriously fast chromatic scales -- low F# to High C. One of the 1st trumpets tried to replicate that, but was UNABLE to do so. Nothing else has been said --- and hopefully they figured out, they are good, but there might always be someone, who can do something better than they can!!! gee, I hope it helps!!!!!

but we should have a TEAM MEETING some day!!!!

7. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Sooner or later we all crash and burn. (at least I sure have) You gotta be a little like an NFL quarterback. You gotta forget about it. Put it behind you. I recently played a wedding. I had practiced the music on my Bb. For some reason I got a wild hair to play it on the picc at the wedding. Very bad idea. I thought the high notes would slot better. Of course this was stupid. Of course I should have practiced it on the picc if I was gonna do that. Anyway, I got cross-ways on fingerings and smashed a couple of bars. I was very embarrassed, but you just gotta move on.