I'm interested in getting some weighted bottom valve caps.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet_man, Dec 4, 2008.

1. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    I'm thinking about getting them from this site: Bottom Caps : Pickett Brass, Unique accessories for your trumpet

I don't know whether I should go for the Cylander ones or the Barrel ones. Here's the options I'm thinking of:
    Trumpet Model: Yahama Xeno C/Bb
    Valve Cap Weight: Heavy (0.75)
    Include bottom cap o-ring: Yes
    Plating: Gold Plated
    Finish: Polished
    4 Valve: No

I'm was wonder what your opinions are on this. I play an Xeno and I like the heavy sound it produces and want to increase that sound even more. I was wondering what the different weights are and what the measurement units were. Thanks.

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I use the Curry sound sleeves on my horns and his mega sleeve on my mpc. While I like it I know people who don't. It'sa personal choice. The best way to decide is to try them for yourself. If you decide on the caps get the o-rings. I found I had to use the caps with a mpc weight to make a difference.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  3. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I put the whole set on my Xeno and loved it - Peter sent me all three weight caps to try, and I chose the lightest set - they were heavy enough! The heaviest set is so long it looks like a battery, and is VERY heavy! It really did improve the feel of the Xeno for me. I have always likes the way a set of solid brass stems changes a horn, and the flat metal buttons are always an improvement for me compared to MOP. Give Peter a call and talk about what you are looking for - he'll help you out! He'll help you pick the best looking finish for your horn, too - in my case he suggested matte silver to go with the shot-blast laquer finish on my horn, when I was going to go with the matte laquer. He was right - it looks great!
    [​IMG]

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have yet to be convinced. The extra weight has always changed the playing balance of the horn and I found out after a couple of months that removing them made the horn respond MUCH more easily (and be better in tune too).

I have yet to find a playing opportunity that requires more than a stock Xeno can output. Play before you pay. That is ALWAYS a solution that offers proof, at least for the moment.

5. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I can't explain the physics of it or say that it made a huge difference in sound, but I can say that this particular set-up made this horn more comfortable for me to play. I especially noticed a difference when using my Navy horn, which is a stock Xeno of the same model in silver. Mine is definately easier to play with fewer stuffy spots. the intonation didn't change much until I got a Bob Reeves alignment - now tuning is a night and day difference between the two horns. The V Raptor is my primary Bb now, and the difference I note with that horn is that I didn't have to add anything to it to make it feel like I want it to. I know that sometimes we do trick ourselves into thinking new toys might be a "magic solution", but if you can do an easy mod like a part to make things more comfortable, then why not? It's easily removed and/or returned if you don't like it. Sometimes these changes may help you to know what you want in your next horn, and you can get a model that is made with all those same features. It's just another learning experience. Besides, look at the horns that come with a variety of different options, such as the V Raptor, Conn Vintage One, or even the modular horns you can try from Harrelson before purchasing - just a few examples of the same idea.....

6. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

I personally play a Xeno and did consider trying out some heavy caps for it. However, I just like the way it plays right now, and that's something I don't want to mess with. You're right, many horns do come standard with alternate valve caps, and that way you can find what works best for you. One of my teachers has a French Besson Classic C, and that came with heavy caps. He prefers the lightweight caps. Many horns are also coming with more than one slide. My C came with two, a "D" slide similar to a Bach, and a full radius slide. I prefer the tighter slotting of the "D" slide.
    It all comes down to personal preference, you've got nothing to lose by trying them out!:-)

7. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    I like the way they look! I am haveing Peter make me a set for a Reynolds Medalist.... I know laugh away but this one does not look like any other medalist I have ever seen except one. A guy on Horn-u-Copia has one like mine. Our's are exact clones of the Olds Specials in ever single detail includeing the stress free bracesing and the nickle slides etc......The only difference is the valve case. It does not look like any other Medalist or Sound like a Medalist even the water key's where machined out of solid nickle. So I am sending him a stem a bottom and top cap. These set's can make your trumpet look really sexy and who does not like playing a sexy instrument come-on we are all trumpet players her so let's admit it!!! We are all the best and aragont and cocky and over confident etc.....It comes with playing the trumpet!!!LOL

Ok on a serious note if you want to see if this may or may not help you do the following. Take a bottom cap with you to a large hardware store. Go to the section where they keep fastner's and go to the brass section. Find the bigest heaviest washer that will fit inside your cap. Now get and o-ring and install it too inside the cap to keep that washer in place. Place this on the third valve and only the third valve at first. If the added mass helps then this kit might be something that will help you out. You can try it on the other valves but this effect is most pronounced onthe third valve. If it does nothing for the trumpet then the heavy caps will have the same effect. This is way old school like 1980's poor Army kid old school so I hope it helps!

Do what you want and tell the rest of the world to get bent! Chose the style that you think looks best. I would not look at top cap's,stem's and buttons as a way of improveing your performance those are like adding cromed out large wheels to your car it is about the look. The bottom caps mass can sometimes help but it is not a magic bullet and if something major is going on with your trumpet the three mainplaces that will make a huge drastic improvement are mouthpiece,leadpipe and bell. This assumes that you are not trying to ask your trumpet to be something it's not like a flugelhorn and that your chop's are up to the game at hand! You follow me! No one can tell you what you are going to like best they can only make recomendations based on what they like.

I am going with light buttons, hourglass stems, recessed top cap's and barrel bottoms all in copper. I am also going to copper plate the water key's and three slides with the rest in silver. I thought about gold but then I would feel too much like Liverachey(sp) think Vegas. I do not want to get too gaudy!!LOL Between the German blood and Spainish blood as in Mom is from Spain!!! I tend to get carried away with loud over the top colors and designs though so bear that in mind!

8. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Flugelgirl Like the Reeves V Raptor that is hot!!! You have great taste and comeing from a guy that Half German/Half Spainish that is saying something!!!! If your Trumpet was a car it would most remind me of Elvis's 24K gold plated Cadilac!
    I also like your choice of 8335RGM while definately not sexy that has to be one of the best work hourse's ever mass produced it does so well at so many thing!!!