I'm looking into getting a better straight mute

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet_man, May 7, 2008.

1. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    My High School band director mentioned that he hates stonlined mutes and that I should get a better one (I found out that stonlined mutes are actually made out of cardboard). I had a solo using a mute and when we went to a festival the judge also said that I should use a metal mute and not a stonelined mute.
    I was wondering what kind of brands are really good quality brands for straight mutes. I heard that Jo-Ral, Dennis Wick, and Tom Crown make really good straight mutes. I heard that the Tom Crown mutes are really good ones. I'm looking for a metal mute (I think) since I want something that would project (I play in band), and the wooden ones might not project as well and would be better for something like orchestra (I could be wrong). I was wondering what would be the best mute for me to get.

Also, I found a bunch of old mutes that my great grandfather had used. One of which I found was a Buzz-Wow Mute, which are really hard to find. However, one of the bolts was missing. I went to Ace Hardware and they didn't have one with those dimensions. I was wondering if you guys could give me a link where I could order a replacement bolt, since it takes 2, with the same dimensions and same size as well as with the other parts (the metal screen and the plastic ring). Also I was wondering whether the plastic ring went on top of the metal screen in the bolt or if the metal (looks like it was cut out of a screen from a window, that piece) goes on top goes on top of the plastic ring in the bolt. Thanks.

2. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    I believe this thread needs to be moved to another forum. It should go in the mouthpiece, mutes, etc. one. Anyway, I played a Brass Spa straight mute, and it blew me away. It played very even and in tune, and I just liked to play it. I also played a copper Tom Crown. It was very good, but I still liked the Brass Spa better.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I have several Jo-Ral Straight metal mutes and a Denis Wick Cup Mute. I find though, that if I remove the sliding sleeve on the cup mute, the remaining centre (Aussie spelling) body is the best sounding straight mute I've got - riddle me that one Batman? Of course, doing it that way, I have both a cup and straight mute in one.

4. Matt Funamura

Matt Funamura New Friend

May 3, 2008
    Boston/Sacramento
    The Jo-Rals and Denis Wick's are great, I don't really have any issues with Humes and Berg Stonelined mutes either. Have you tried Marcus Bonna mutes? Also, there's the Alessi-Vacchiano straight mute.

5. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I haven't tried the Tomas Crown mute but have heard they are good, love my Dennis Wick mute. It is quite a bit more free blowing then my old stonelined and projects better also. Dave

6. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Tom Crown all copper straight mute for me.

-cw-

7. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    It depends on what you are looking for. For me the Tom Crown (other then Model A) work best mf and above. I find the Jo-Ral (copper bottom) or the Wick to be more all round mutes. I do like and have 3 crown (copper bottom all aluminum and all copper).

8. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Costs little; sounds good!

[​IMG]

Doesn't dent when you lob it hither and yon!

9. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Without wishing to sound like a cantankerous old bugger, I personally don't like Denis Wick mutes! If it wasn't for the fact that my entire band uses them, i certainly wouldn't. I find they lack colour, and character. The Denis Wick straight is adequate, but the Denis Wick harmon is awful. I find that with mutes you sometimes need to vary the type of a mute depending upon the musical demands. For example, the piece my band is playing at the moment has muted lyrical passages in it. We have decided to abandon the wick straight mutes and use stone lined straight mutes. So to finally answer your question i don't think "better" is necessarily the answer, but different mutes for different musical situations.:lol:

10. Scooter01

Scooter01 Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2006
    I think for the type of all around playing you may be expected to perform the Tom Crown mute would be my first choice. I prefer the all copper and I also have a Dennis Wick straight mute for softer passages. Mutek is a brand I have come to realize as a very fine quality mute. It wouldn't hurt if you could try two or three and find one you like. Even better if you can get your band director to arrange for your whole section to try a few and see which ones he prefers. Many band directors have a good relationship with a local music store and can arrange to borrow a few items for trial.