I'm playing 'Prince of Denmark's March' at a wedding in September - I have braces...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by madmattm, Jun 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. madmattm

madmattm New Friend

Jun 13, 2009
    I'm playing Prince of Denmark's March at a wedding in September and I wear dental braces. What would be the best way to learn this piece really well so I can play it brilliantly. I need to work on stamina, range and tone but how should I do this?

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Re: I'm playing 'Prince of Denmark's March' at a wedding in September - I have braces

I have read all of your posts.

You are 16,

You have braces,

You don't know what mouthpiece you want to use,

You want to play a well know tune brilliantly,

You want to look cool,

I would spend more time practicing and less time on the computer and I would probably NOT take the job of performing the "Prince Of Denmark".

3. madmattm

madmattm New Friend

Jun 13, 2009
    Re: I'm playing 'Prince of Denmark's March' at a wedding in September - I have braces

Who hasn't been 16 before?

I can't help having braces. I'm trying hard to play still.

I wanted some advice on a mouthpiece in the mouthpiece section. Surely that's what it's for?

Isn't it good to want to play something well and not just 'OK'? I didn't act cocky and say I can already play anything brilliantly.

Who doesn't want to look cool? ;-)

Finally, I've made these posts over a few months and surely we all need breaks? Especially with having braces.

I'm sorry to sound arrogant but I was genuinely asking for some advice. I apologise. Please delete my account if you feel that strongly about me because I can't find anything that tells me how to.

Sofus likes this.
  4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC

Aw c'mon Chuck - give the kid a break. 31 posts since he came here in December isn't bad, and it isn't like the Prince of Denmark's march is terribly difficult. It used to be a standby tune for me if I was playing at specific church with a specific organist and we wanted to throw another tune onto the pile or if we needed something for filler. Neither one of us needed music and the tune is so basic that we never really needed to rehearse it either.

So, my suggestions.

1.) Don't play it too slow - this will depend some on your accompanist. There's a point on this tune when if you go below a certain tempo, it really wants to pull back and drag even more, and I have always preferred slightly brighter tempos for this tune because of that tendency. (Might have been my accompanist - it's been a while since I have performed it)
    2.) Practice your trills - those need to be crisp and well timed
    3.) Think about the phrasing and where you are going to need to breathe. I have specific places I breathe when I play this.
    4.) Dynamics - parts of this tune should be played loudly, parts softly and the more contrast you can make, the better it will be
    5.) Be well rehearsed. Shouldn't be too difficult since there are really only 3 parts to the tune, one of which repeats.

For me, the best I ever played it, I played it in the key of D on a D trumpet. Everything lays well (playing it in C for the trumpet of course) and the brilliance of the smaller horn means that you can just play and not have to worry about sound as much. Playing it in the key of Bb is common, but not really ideal IMO. That's what you'll likely do, although it wouldn't be unusual to see an arrangement for C trumpet in the key of C. If that's the case, if you can get your hands on a C trumpet, work it out to find the fingerings and alternate fingerings that are going to work the best.

That's about it - again, simple tune that is fairly easy to make sound good, even for an inexperienced player.

Oh and

6.) Don't worry about looking cool. Focus on the music. :-)

and

7.) If you can't nail it, pass on it and have them get a trumpet player who can. One of the "problems" with that tune is that because it is so basic, it's also pretty exposed so if you don't play it well (if your chops are suspect due to the braces) it's immediately obvious to anyone in the room.

As for range and stamina, that shouldn't be a problem unless you have range and stamina problems anyway. If you are playing it on Bb in the key of Bb, the highest note you'll have to play is an A, (unless you play an alternate, ornamented part like I do sometimes, in which case you'll need a solid C) and the phrases are short enough that I have never ever had a stamina problem with this tune.

If you have some major issues with your playing, it's not the tune you have to worry about, and you should get those cleaned up before you tackle this kind of performance.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
    Sofus likes this.
  5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit

I see where you're coming from Patrick, but it is someone's wedding!

If it is not a relative, or a very close friend, I would pass.

6. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH

Is this performance for a relative's wedding?

If so did you volunteer or get pushed into playing it by a family member?

The difference is that if it's a family wedding and they know you're inexperienced and they're not paying you.... they won't be critical if you make a mistake here or there.

If you are being paid by folks you don't know, they'll expect a professional performance.

I bought a couple of wedding music books that had Bb trumpet friendly versions of the popular wedding tunes and the organ accompaniment. I will try to dig them out and post the name of the books. These arangements weren't terribly difficult and if the organist is willing to play from book different than what they already know, you're in luck.

Most experienced organists can play this piece in their sleep and in several keys anyway because they've played it at so many weddings.

Make sure that you do get a chance to practice with the organist ahead of the wedding so you aren't surprised by tempo and you get a feel for how the organ part sounds along with your trumpet part. Without this, you may get lost and have the wheels fall off of the cart.

With braces, try not to use much pressure, practice in smaller blocks of time but multiple times per day, and practice picking up the horn "cold" and playing the starting note of the piece. Typically, you will warm up prior to the wedding, then sit around during all the prelude music, then you have to be able to start on the correct pitch. If you miss.... bad things will happen.

You should really work with a private instructor to get their opinion. They will be in a better position to gauge your progress and whether or not you'll have a chance at being prepared to play this piece at a wedding.

Good luck.

7. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008

Look, if you don't have the stamina, range, or tone to play it right now, then you should respectfully decline to play it in September. Braces have nothing to do with it. There are no secrets to make you play better.

8. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008

Exactly!!!

This kid THOUGHT he could do it:

YouTube - Trumpeter Blows It

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC

The video track is so far out of whack from the audio track that I have always wondered whether or not that was contrived and what they were actually playing. It does sound pretty awful though. I should see if I can convert the tape of me playing it at my wedding and post it, although to be fair I was an experienced, working Army Bandsman at the time.

10. loudog

loudog Piano User

Jan 4, 2004
    Grand Island, NE

My thought has always been this.

If you can't play it now, you shouldn't accept a gig playing it.

I can't play the Peter Maxwell Davies trumpet sonata. If someone calls me and asks me to play it (even a year from now), I would decline. Don't plan on doing something you can't do.

It's good to set goals, and maybe in a year I could get the Davies up to where I could perform it, but I'm not gonna bet on that now.

Louie