I'm playing 'Prince of Denmark's March' at a wedding in September - I have braces...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by madmattm, Jun 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Re: I'm playing 'Prince of Denmark's March' at a wedding in September - I have braces

A mentor of mine in high school, my K-6 music teacher, and an accomplished classical organist (seriously - he is fully degreed by the AGO) kept me going in high school when the band program was falling apart by having me play at the church where he served as the music director and organist. It was not unusual for him to hit me with a brand new tune on a Tuesday or Wednesday - something I'd never even heard of, much less played before - and expect it to be ready by Sunday. If I had shied away from everything I couldn't play "now" I would have never played. Sometimes you have to set a goal for yourself.

I think that the OP can probably play the Clarke trumpet voluntary - he has posted about some of the ensembles he has played in, and I think it's probably within his capability. I think that he was just looking for some general chops advice and maybe some tips about how to make it sound better.

2. Arthur Magazu

Arthur Magazu New Friend

May 26, 2010
    Stow, Ma.
    Re: I'm playing 'Prince of Denmark's March' at a wedding in September - I have braces

I was at a wedding where the trumpeter took it down an octave...at first I was completey shocked, but it sounded very good and no-one but me even noticed.. I'm not saying to do that.. just that someone did and pulled it off....

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008

I appreciate what you're saying, but in my opinion there's a huge difference between mediocre playing during a regular Sunday service and mediocre playing during somebody's wedding.

I'm all for goal-setting and working on material that's more advanced than one's current capabilities, but when it comes time for a performance (particularly a wedding performance) I feel there is no place for a so-so job. Just because family and friends are willing to shrug their shoulders and say "oh well", it doesn't absolve the trumpet player of the responsibility to be prepared and able to play it well.

To the OP, listen to a bunch of good performances of the piece (you'll find tons on YouTube), record yourself, and then have someone listen blind to yours and a few others. If your performance doesn't cut it, then you shouldn't take the job.

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit

+1 to that post!

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany

I think we need a reality check here. The original poster wants to play brilliantly in 2-3 months, I say little chance. Getting through is most likely possible, but brilliant?

The poster wants to know what mouthpiece to use with braces, I say the one you have been using all along. Changing mouthpieces can set you back 6 months to a year.

The original poster is working on stamina, range and tone. Those are very good things to have when playing in public. They are prerequisites for a brilliant performance and often need months and years to accomplish.

As to the discussion about the wedding, the original poster needs to do some soul searching to figure out if <85% is "good enough". That is probably the hardest thing for a 16 year old in this situation to objectively do. Go play for the organist, and let them help you decide. A wedding is a VERY special day and starting a marriage with a bad omen is maybe not optimal.

6. dstrad

dstrad Pianissimo User

Oct 20, 2005
    New Jersey

I agree with Rowuk and Chuck. Don't agree to perform it if you don;t already have it mastered. I played that piece in high school at the school chorus director's wedding. Her husband was an accomplished organist. I played it on D trumpet. At that point in time I was playing constantly and taking weekly lessons from a world class teacher. That said, why worry about sounding brillant for one piece. At your age you should be practicing your head on everything to make it all sound brilliant. As Herseth has said, "Practice to perform."

If you do play this piece, the grace notes should be part of the trills.

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC

My performances on those Sunday's were not mediocre. Not for anyone, much less a high school kid, but then, I wasn't a typical mediocre high school player either. By the time I was a junior in HS, I was doing real Baroque and Classical pieces, and playing them well. I wasn't Wynton by any means, but I certainly wasn't a mediocre hack.

I just looked up the Clarke Voluntary and it is listed as a Grade 2-3 piece. It's not that difficult and it should be well within the ability of any aspiring high school player.

8. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY

Clarke Voluntary is a level 2 solo in New York State, but it is in the key of concert B flat, not D. My son, who is finishing seventh grade and has had braces for eight months can play it well now. But, in a stressful setting, leave it to the professionals! He'll be borrowing one of my pics soon enough!

9. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008

This isn't about you. I trust that you could have played this in high school.

This thread is about a 16 year-old with stamina, range, and tone concerns who wants to be able to work on all of those areas in time for a wedding performance.

That you think this piece "should be well within the ability of any aspiring high school player" is irrelevant. THIS high school student can't do it now (before summer vacation) so expecting him to do it in September is a bit much in my opinion.

Again, someone's wedding is not the time to "give it a shot", it's a time to nail it.

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC

Yes, I'm well aware that this thread is not about me - my comment was in regard to someone suggesting that I was only performing on a mediocre level, when nothing about it was mediocre at all - not my AGO degreed mentor's accompaniment on the organ and not my trumpet performance.

The kid has over 2 months to prepare a very simple tune and have it be prepared to a level that it would be acceptible at a wedding - most likely a family member, otherwise, why would he have been asked to play it? Let's keep in mind here the sentimental quality that this could mean if it's a relative and his playing is special not because of what he's playing, but merely because he's playing it. I.e., it doesn't have to be totally polished or perfect.

Let's also take a look at what he actually said.

He wants tips on the piece, and also wants some pointers on his stamina, range and tone. He never said he couldn't play it, nor did he state that stamina, range and tone were giving him issues with the piece.

I took it to mean that:

1.) He wanted some musical tips on the tune
    2.) He wants some pointers about how to improve some of those other aspects to improve his playing in general.

You guys take everything SO seriously.