I'm playing 'Prince of Denmark's March' at a wedding in September - I have braces...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by madmattm, Jun 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    Re: I'm playing 'Prince of Denmark's March' at a wedding in September - I have braces

HI, Guys!

I kinda agree with Patrick. The piece isn't THAT hard, and if the kid can play at all, he ought to be able to play it well in a couple of months. It's not like he's going to play the Brandenburg #2! Seems to me, I played this (and the Purcell "trumpet tune") at MY first "pro" wedding gig at age 16 and nobody died from it! ;-)

Furthermore, many organists can transpose, and many organs are able to transpose by means of a transposition switch. If he can play it beautifully in Bb but can't quite make it work in D, who but another trumpet player is going to notice? Heck, it's transposed to Bb in far too many brass ensemble versions!

Ultimately, it's a learning experience for everybody! He'll learn his limits, and maybe even push himself through them to another level. The family will learn if he can be used in future festivities, or perhaps they will want to hire a pro in the future! ;-)

I've heard "pros" play this piece with fracks, clams, and poor tone, too.

Guy

2. madmattm

madmattm New Friend

Jun 13, 2009
    Re: I'm playing 'Prince of Denmark's March' at a wedding in September - I have braces

Thanks for posting everyone.

I'm getting the impression that some of you think I can't play the piece, which isn't true, I can play it all and it's not just a case of 'getting through it'. I have weekly lessons with a really good teacher who knows my strengths and weaknesses and he's fine about me playing it. I'm going to play with the organist and find out what she thinks: if I can't hack it for whatever reason she can play it really well on the organ as a solo, as she has done before. I've known the organist (my piano teacher) and trumpet teacher for 6 and 2 years respectively and I am certain that they know if I can do it.

Perhaps saying I wanted to play it 'brilliantly' was wrong but you know what I mean and there's not much need to pick my words apart. I just want to make it BETTER than I can already play it, but if my tutors say I'm not up to it, I will willingly step down and let someone else take it. Like a few of you said, I don't want to ruin someone's wedding!

Basically I'm trying really hard with my teacher to become a better all round player and have opportunities to perform. I know my limitations and I don't try things that are massively above my capabilities especially for someone's wedding.

Also, I can't remember who said it, but braces make one hell of a difference and it's taken me 6/7 months and I still can't play as high, for as long or with the same sound quality as before, though technical I've got much better etc. The main point being that braces cut your lips to shreds even with minimal pressure and it just makes your embouchure change so much! It's rubbish!

One last thing, I'm a little bit disappointed at some of the negativity I get when posting, my age often comes up and I really don't think I would get the same if I was 36 not 16. I know I'm young and inexperienced (doesn't mean immature or stupid) and there are lots of much better players here but everyone has to learn and I was genuinely looking for some advice - which trickg again commented on. :)

Thanks everyone, especially trickg, for the advice and I will give this my best shot, and if I for some reason can't do it well ebough, I'll turn it down. I have left school until September now so I have plenty of time to practice and I'm going on tour with my Orchestra to Italy which won't exactly hurt as I'll be playing even more.
    Thanks

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  3. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA

HI, Matt!

For your braces, try using Parafilm-M.

Parafilm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've described this in previous posts, but in short, Parafilm-M is a stretchy plastic film that is used in laboratories for covering test tubes and beakers, etc. because it is stretchy and clingy. It comes in rolls seperated by a wax paper liner with one inch squares printed on it. Cut one inch squares of the Parafilm, and fold them twice (1" by 0.25") and place it over your upper braces. Give it a bit of a stretch as you put it in place, and the braces hook it in place.

Do the same thing for your lower braces, and you'll be suprised at how well you'll play. I went through all of this MANY years ago while in Jr. High school into High School, playing in two youth orchestras and the school band(s). My wife more recently had braces at age forty or so, and was able to continue playing trumpet and cornet quite successfully, in several community orchestras, and competing brass bands.

Try it! You'll thank me!!

Guy

4. loudog

loudog Piano User

Jan 4, 2004
    Grand Island, NE

Thanks for clearing that up Matt. If your teacher gives you the go, then go ahead and do it!

A wise man once told me "Everytime you put your horn on your face, your reputation is at stake." I live by that mantra. Preparation is everything!

5. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008

Man, you need to get some sound clips up on your quintet website. I was reading the player bios and I was so excited to hear you guys, but couldn't find anything.... I guess I'll just have to hire you to find out, eh? ;-)

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC

Thanks for the update Matt! It sounds like things are going pretty well for your playing, with the exception of the limitations the braces have caused.

I wanted to touch a bit on what you said about the organist because it reminded me of my own wedding where I played all of the pre-music and most of the processional. Me and the oganist, the friend I mentioned above, played the Price of Denmark's March for the bridesmaids, and once they had gotten down the main aisle, I put my trumpet on the stand and took my place at the head of the church. At that point my friend was doing a modulation to a new key, opening up stops along the way. When he came back in with the main theme of the tune, the organ was full blast with all stops opened. It was pretty grand processional, even without the trumpet sitting on the top of it. :D

Getting back on topic, it sounds like you've got your bases (and your braces, if you take Guy's advice) covered and you'll be able to do it right for the upcoming wedding.

As another side note about playing weddings and that kind of thing, I played the Prince of Denmark's March as the processional for my sister's wedding, and the Purcell Trumpet Tune as the recessional, but there's a twist. The old pipe organ in this church was tuned to something like A415, so I had to pull my tuning slide waaaay out to compensate, which made a few things a little odd because centering on the horn was different, and it felt weird because I was used to hearing the pitch at A440. It wasn't a problem for the processional. For the recessional, coming in cold, I seriously clammed my very first note of the the Trumpet Tune - I simply hit the wrong partial because I didn't hear it due to the difference in tuning. I was mortified, but my sister, who was an excellent trumpet player in her own right even though she chose not to pursue it, (and she should have!) poo-poohed it and didn't think it was a big deal. Then again, as a trumpet player, she'd had her fair share of clams before she stopped playing, so she understood.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010