I'm really at the end of my rope. Should I just quit trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Octiceps, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Trickg sez:
    Dude - chill out. Try decaff - it's just as tasty.
    ----
    NOOOOOOO WAY! I have it on good authority that decaf is the antichrist.

2. harveyhassanator

harveyhassanator Pianissimo User

Sep 5, 2010
    Britain
    hahaha, love both comments. im with trickg on this matter

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    ;-)

All I'm saying is that these forums are to exchange information and have a little fun - we don't have to be quite so serious about everything.

As a side note and getting back to the idea of changing instruments, my older sister was a really fine trumpet player in HS. She played 8 years, (5th-12th grades) went to honor bands, won awards at music contests, etc. She put the trumpet down in 1986, never picked it back up, and had no regrets about stopping her endeavors on the trumpet. And when I say she was good, I'm not joking - she could have easily done what I did and made a career as a military bandsman, and she would have excelled - I'm absolutely confident of that. (Comparatively, if I would put her playing side by side with mine when we were both HS Seniors, she would have consistently beat me 4 out of 5 times - I was a solid player, but her technique was more refined than mine, although I had as good of a sound and more range and power.)

She's finally involved as a musician again. 20+ years later she started to play again, but it's not trumpet - she's learning to play the flute, and I gather she's doing fairly well. That's why I say it's about MUSIC - not the trumpet specifically.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  4. Octiceps

Octiceps Pianissimo User

May 5, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks for the thorough discussion and good pointers guys. Let me make it clear that I am not going to quit trumpet until I do exhaust all my options. For a stubborn (some would say persevering) person such as myself, that means a lot more searching around before throwing in the towel. At the very least, I will be playing until I'm out of high school.

I have contacted some other private teachers, but am holding off on playing for a week because, as luck would have it, a kid I was playing basketball with yesterday headbutted me in the face and now I have nasty cut on my bottom lip! :-o

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Based on some of the things you have posted, I think that some rest and a fresh approach might be a good way to sort of reboot your playing. I think anyone who has played for any real length of time (say 5+ years) has gone through some kind of chops issue where they had to go back to the drawing board and find a fresh perspective or approach, or to simply give their chops enough time to recover. It's happened to me. Often it's due to trying to force something that the player just isn't quite ready for.

Stick with it and go back to square 1 if you have to, and keep us posted on your progress.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I apologize for being too serious :-(.

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Nah - no real worries. I was just surprised to get neg repped for doing a normal forum kind of thing is all. We're all pretty much here for the same reason - to talk shop about playing trumpet and help each other get better. :-)

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Didn't know that was normal. Now I can have some fun :lol:!

9. wolfmann

wolfmann Pianissimo User

Aug 19, 2010
    Octi:
    Medicated Blistex works wonders,might sting a bit but it works.

10. Octiceps

Octiceps Pianissimo User

May 5, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks for the suggestion wolfmann. I don't think I need to put anything on it because after taking a second look, the cut doesn't look as deep as I had originally thought. I iced it after cutting it yesterday and now the swelling has gone down considerably. Elsewhere, it's already getting a lot better.