I'm really at the end of my rope. Should I just quit trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Octiceps, Aug 20, 2010.

1. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Yes, for anyone that reads from most recent to original post, this thread was started in 2010. Poster is probably long gone.

2. Brassman64

Brassman64 Mezzo Piano User

May 13, 2017
    Torrance,California
    The posters gone but the idea isn't.I just picked up my horn again after 10 years and things are progressing well, my endurance isn't there yet so I take more breaks.Quiting playing would be like quiting breathing for me.

True Tone likes this.
  3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The trumpet is a demanding mistress... but when you're together... man is it like being in heaven.

4. Bflatman

Bflatman Forte User

Nov 27, 2008
    Manchester, England
    As this has been resurrected I will comment as there is an important point here.

The OP started with some problems and then found a teacher. He had been practicing in one way for 7 years and the teacher made him make a radical change and his world fell apart.

This happens when a massive change happens. The change might have been good, but the results were devastating.

In such cases one could reverse the change then change gradually rather than one big hit, or one could stick it out. The bigger the change and the longer you have been doing it the other way, the longer you have to stick it out for. But things will get better.

A salutory lesson in the outcome of radical change.

Brassman64 and True Tone like this.
  5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Somehow this will apply..
    About 14 years ago I decided to get lessons from GolfTec .. they hook you up to a computer/sensors the whole deal. They tell you the angles... whats best and then give you custom lessons. Now the cerebral side of me thought... oh yeah this is the ticket.. after a year plus of lessons I shot a 148, too many lost balls off of the tee I suppose. My instructor thought I should have score much better... I said.. the heck with this.
    on to part 2
    I saw a video on the stack and tilt method... no lessons but one youtube video... after one moth I proceeded to play the best 9 holes in my life +1.
    I am not suggesting that you would be best watching videos or anything of the sort but if it doesn't work it might just be the method is not for you.
    I guess that's kind of a moral of the story.. maybe

True Tone and neal085 like this.
  6. Bflatman

Bflatman Forte User

Nov 27, 2008
    Manchester, England
    Right on topic and a good example coolerdave.

In business where change is common and a fact of life, sometimes massive change is needed and when a massive change is implemented it can destroy the ability to do the job. The transition is full of despair and poor performance. At length better performance is achieved but at what cost. The operation was a success but the patient died. If you lose sight of the goal of providing customer satisfaction in business customers are lost and without customers the patient dies.

This is the reason the Japanese created Kaizen gradual and incremental change. Gradual change can be accommodated and has only a small impact. A small change is put in place, after a while another small change is implemented and another, and after many small changes overall the change is massive but it has always been palatable and has not harmed the business as the business changed.

If a football or baseball star at the height of his career made a massive change that his coach told him was needed and he no longer could play well, he would be cut from the team and soon sponsorship deals are lost, we are talking end of career here.

Massive change can lead to massive loss.

Teachers coaches and managers alike can learn from the mistakes of the past in this area and the kaizen approach of gradual change where appropriate can lead to success without major loss on that journey of change that leads to a better future.

True Tone and GeorgeB like this.
  7. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Mezzo Forte User

Apr 13, 2016
    New Glasgow, N.S. Canada
    Even though I am a 15 month comeback player after a 50 year hiatus, I've played enough years all told to know that, for me , working through an issue works a lot better than a massive change.

coolerdave and True Tone like this.
  8. adc

adc Pianissimo User

Jan 12, 2017
    Elizabethtown, Pa.
    Its been now 6 month after my 50+ year Hiatus. I learned the same lesson (should have listened Rowuk). Switched mouthpieces too many times. Listening to tips again mainly from Rowuk..and held a steady course. The Warbuton PETE also helped a lot. I am getting "there" for sure!

9. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Mezzo Forte User

Apr 13, 2016
    New Glasgow, N.S. Canada
    Good to hear !