I'm really at the end of my rope. Should I just quit trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Octiceps, Aug 20, 2010.

1. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    Hello. There is a lot of posted info. on this topic. Have not read it all. So I may be repeating what has already been mentioned. Go to the Music Book site Sheet Music Plus - World's Largest Selection of Sheet Music . There you will find several or more condensed books that will help you rebuild your basic playing.

The first one for embouchure correcting and building is the; Carmine Caruso book. When you play that first simple Blow/Tongue exercise. That is where' your best natural mouthpiece set up' is probably going to be for you. P.S. (Carmine Caruso was a Saxaphone Player that helped heal broken embouchures of Pro. Trumpet players etc.).

The other books are the condensed, First Arban/Second Arban/First Clark Studies; by Carl Fisher. The first and second Rubank studies. Can not remember author's name. But it is titled,embouchure building exrcises. A mostly red cover front page book.

This may sound silly to you. Playing back through; the book1/ book 2/book3 band books; by Essential Elements 2000/Best in Class/ and Standard of Excellence can be a great help.

Due your Caruso/ long tones/ embouchure book in one practice section. Do not rush the Caruso book. Work through your band books and other mentioned above books in evening second practice. Rest between exercises. A Pro- Trumpet player I know by the name of Randy Shell. Played for Walt Disney in his younger days. To get in extra practice time. When watching T.V. He does various exercises/long tones etc. during the TV commercials.

Alternate days on Band books and the Arban/Clark books. Always warm up with that first simple Carmine Caruso Blow/Tongue exercise. The Days your chops and body feel to tired, just play the band1 books.

At Sixty years old,My professional Muscian/Music Tech. told me, I picked a tough instrument to make a come back on;after 35 years away from the Trumpet. I to thought about the Saxaphone or quitting. It would not be any easier starting from scratch on a Sax. There is a lot more maintance and cost to keep a Saxaphone in good working order.

My N.A.P.B.I.R.T. Music Tech. does not get a great thrill out of working on Saxaphones and charges accordingly.

The one thing that helped me the most due to my age. Was dropping down to Harmony Second/Third/ part playing in my Church Essembly. This took a lot of pressure off me and lets me enjoy playing again. I let the young ones do all the red face/eye poping/neck swelling/high note playing.HaHa

Do not quit,just go back to your basics and slowly work your way back up with more softer playing and using faster EEEEE air on the higher note.

One more thing you might wish to look at. On the Stork Mouthpiece site. There is a picture Mouthpiece rim size to lip types sizing chart. Check it out and see if you are in your over all best rim playing size. Good luck

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    True, but it's the only one going to be used to call us all home!

trickg likes this.
  3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Damned Toby,
    That's like checkmate, squared. I'll be using that statement in the future I'm sure.

tobylou8 likes this.
  4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Just be sure to tell them you heard it here first :D!

5. BebitBarrelRacer

BebitBarrelRacer New Friend

Sep 6, 2010
    Don't quit, you can do it! :D

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Man, that's a good site. Can't believe I never saw it before. Thanks! :thumbsup:

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Yeah, you can do it!

[​IMG]

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    The point I was trying to make with this is that trumpet is only one small facet to the whole thing and we can continue to make music, even if it's not on the trumpet, which IS relevant to the OP - we're not all meant to play trumpet and who knows, his real talent might lie elsewhere with another instrument. I never knew I was going to be a good drummer until I started doing it, and it opened up a whole new world of music to my eyes and I started hearing things in music that I'd never heard before.

I know that the OP is having issues playing the horn, and I can appreciate that and even give him some pointers on how to get through it, but I also believe that when it comes to music, every option should be on the table, and that includes the possibility of moving to a different instrument.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I don't disagree with your statement regarding music,but my comment didn't need to be "fixed". The original post asked " should I quit trumpet" ? I have yet to meet a former trumpeter w/o regrets for dropping the instrument. I stopped, regretted it (25 yrs later) and picked it back up. With patience and faith , thanks VB, I am playing better than ever. The poster needs to exhaust his efforts to fix his problem in my opinion before he tosses years of work because he's going through a rough spot. If he can learn to play the sax, bone, flute that's fine (well maybe not the flute) and he/she will be a better musician for it. To validate your point, I think Arturo is as good a pianist as trumpeter and he' not a bad percussionist. Billey Smiley plays guitar and trumpet equally well so I get it.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Dude - chill out. Have you not been around the internet forum much or something? People do that all the time, ("fixed it for ya!") it's done as a joke, and it's all in fun. Do you not believe in having fun? Possibly you take things a bit too seriously? (As a side note, I've been a part of this thread since page 2, before you I think, and my original post in this thread directly addressed the issue)

Tossing years of work isn't a bad idea if he's not getting anywhere with it - the OP stated they have been playing for 7 years and is still in HS. A LOT of people stop playing instruments in HS and many of them never regret it because simply put, it just wasn't for them - they never developed a tremendous amount of facility or ability with the instrument and they went on to lead quite happy lives. My thought is that life is better if you are playing MUSIC, and my comments that maybe another instrument might be a better way to go also directly addresses the issue.

This player may never develop decent chops - not everyone does. Heck - of all of the people to ever pick up a trumpet, what percentage actually gets good enough to gig and get paid? Do you? I mean, how serious were you if it took you 25 years to figure out and come back to it? I stopped for a short while, but figured out I needed to be playing about 18 months after the fact - that's how important MUSIC was to me.

Try decaff - it's just as tasty.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010