I'm sick

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by nickenator, Feb 9, 2014.

1. nickenator

nickenator Pianissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    I have come down with a nasty cold/sinus thing. I have a concert in 7 hours. What do I do?

2. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Steam perhaps will help clear the tubes. I used to staem with a little menthol if I had a cold while I was singing

3. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    When this happens to me it really knocks me about since I end up not being able to breathe through my nose as I play. I'm afraid I've usually resorted to the pharmaceutical path and dosed up on something to dry me out - one of those "extra strength/fast acting" cold/flu remedies from the chemist shop. IANAD (I am not a doctor) so this next bit should only be considered my personal anecdote: The other thing I've done is probably ill-advised and that is to chug down an anti-allergy pill, like Telfast, which I think helped with the drying out in the short term but also resulted in days of feeling too dry afterwards.

I hope you get well soon.

--bumblebee

4. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Probably too late now, but get a hair-dryer and a hot drink - as hot as you can take it. Put the hair-dryer on the hottest setting you can manage and breathe in the heat through your nose for three minutes. At the same time, take sips of your hot drink, so you're getting heat up your nose and going down your throat at the same time. 3 minutes. Yes, it hurts, I know. Repeat this every hour or two and it might kill your cold dead.

Just be careful handling the drink and the dryer. Get mummy or daddy to help if necessary.

That is the essence of Dan Lee Dimke's Cold Arrest procedure.

5. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Further tip, suggested by my GP, is to gargle every hour or two with warm salt water, which helps keep the bad bug population around your sinuses under control, and if you have a neti pot (Nasal irrigation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) you could consider using that.

--bumblebee

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Several things. Immediately start Zicam or Coldeze (over the counter at Wal Mart). Keeps cold virus from replicating, getting worse. Can shorten duration and reduce effects of cold.

Decongestant and antihistamine to dry up and open up. Ask the pharmacist what would be the most effective.

They do make nasal irrigation devices that actually rinse out the sinuses. That would probably be my last resort.

There are a couple of Dr.s here that may also chime in with some free advice.

That's about the most you an do.

7. Littlejg

Littlejg Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2011
    UK
    This is probably too late now but perhaps may help in the future......my old mums solution which always helps me to carry on blowing.......squeeze a couple of fresh lemons into a glass....... add 2 tablespoons of liquid honey and a teaspoon of sugar....lace generously with French Cognac.......top up with hot water.....after that I'm usually on cloud seven!...........ad lib solos improve.....I think! hic!....

8. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Sounds like a hot toddy!

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Drainage is key to prevent secondary infection. The steam thing may work but be careful as this could lead to a mucous burn. A neti pot does work for some Neti Pots for Sinus Problems - WebMD: Do They Work? if you are the kind of person that can tolerate shooting saline up their nose. Afrin twice a day for 3 days is much easier. Finally taking over-the-counter Pseudoephedrin (ONLY IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A BLOOD PRESSURE PROBLEM) is my own personal last resort. It makes you feel a bit jittery, but it allows one to breathe and get some decent sleep, which is in-and-of-itself healing. I am not a believer in Zinc as the evidence is all over the place. I feel symptom relieve now is more a priority than it may (or may not) relieve you symptoms in half the time.

I remember a science teacher I had in the 7th grade tell us if we get a cold, to run outside naked in the freezing winter then catch pneumonia. His logic is that we can treat pneumonia, but not the common cold. I don't recommend this as somehow, I believe his logic is flawed, but in the impressionable mind of a 7th grader, I bet some of my classmates gave it a try. My recommendation for the record is: DON'T DO THIS.

Finally, vicks vapor rub. Absolutely does not work for the cold, but I find it very stimulating and therapeutic for me, when I get to rub it on my lover's chest.

10. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    My suggestion: Afrin nasal spray several hours before the concert with 400-600mg of Motrin (ibuprofen) if there are no contraindications. I would avoid antihistamines as they will dry the mouth and avoid medication by mouth that may give you the "jitters" (ie pseudoepherine). Finally, don't think about your cold during the concert but rather concentrate on making music.