I'm sick

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by nickenator, Feb 9, 2014.

1. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I agree with Gary. With 7 hours to go, some over-the-counter nasal spray, oral antihistamine, or oral decongestant is about the best you have. Warm water with salt gargles, tea with lemon, tylenol or motrin, and similar suggestions may also help.

If there was more time ...

There is some evidence that suggests that zinc and vitamin C, if started at the first signs of a cold, can shorten its course.

A steroid nasal spray (prescription needed), and can also help with sinus symptoms from colds and allergies, but usually takes a couple days to kick it.

Mike

2. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Nickenator
    1.Take the palm of your hand and pull back the skin just above the cheek toward the ear. This will make your nose hole more open and help manually open the sinus area a little. With the area pulled back, spray some saline nose spray up your nose and notice your pain level. Did it hurt like heck? Chances are you are a victim of dried out sinuses.
    1.Get in the shower and run hot water to hydrate your sinuses. Breathe deep. It's gonna hurt but in about 15-20 minutes you'll notice the pain subside.
    2.Drink water! Stay hydrated.
    3.Take Allegra for your ears (the sinus and the ears are close neighbors and when one goes bad the other isn't far behind. The hardest performances I've ever done are one's where my ears were out of whack.
    4. Eat something so the Allegra won't upset your stomach.
    5. Take it easy as the performance. Don't push it.
    This is the process I've used and for me, it helped.
    Hope this helps
    Dr.Mark

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Some of my best concerts were when I was sick as a dog. I didn't have enough energy to get nervous, gave myself permission to play at a lower level and usually played just fine. The one exception was bronchitis. Had to cancel that gig. The other cancellations came about because of an allergic reaction to the bite of a tiny little German fly. It hurt quite a bit. Drinking a bottle of hot Saki cleans the sinuses, but is best done the day before a concert.

4. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Hey Doc,

Don't you remember the Beverly Hillbillies show where granny had found a cure for the common cold. Take her remedy, wait 7-10 days and you are well. :)

5. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    I was going to start a thread but since this is here :D

Iv'e been fighting the flue like bronchitis crap now for 4 days,started with a tingle in the back of my nose ,then went full blown chills and went right into my lungs ,hacking cough ,i hurt so bad for 3 days ,everything i did was painful ,never mind i had to be outside all day in 0 temp weather ?

Anyway i wonder if the good doctor would give me3 an idea of when i can start playing again ? i didn't want to infect my horn so swore of playing since the onset ,also notice several fresh fever blisters on my lips and under my nose this morning :-(

I once saw a show on TV that said we never get the same strain of a virus twice ? hope that's true as this was the worst iv'e ever had ,and judging by the death reports on the radio it's nothing to mess with ?

Anyway maybe Doc can give an idea ,I miss my horn :-?

Dean_0

6. TrumpetMD

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I wouldn't worry about this. You're not going to catch anything new by playing your trumpet. If you feel well enough to play, go ahead and play.

Yes. But there many different viral strains out there, so you can still get back-to-back colds.

Mike

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I agree with TrumpetMD's recommendation. For the one above, I would rub vitamin E oil into this area.

8. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    thanks guy's

not worried just frustrated with waiting ,i'm sure in a couple days i'll be back at it :D

slinks off to find the vitamin E

Dean_0

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I've had it for 10 days, and have played every day, including both Sundays in church. I wake up (after sleeping poorly due to coughing) and after a hot shower and moving around a bit, don't feel too bad. I keep a hanky handy. Have run two courses of Oscilococcinum to keep from getting a worse secondary infection. Ibuprofen helps with aches and pains and sleep, and good throat lozenges help too.

It is a very persistent bug, but is SLOWLY getting better. I recommend against Zicam, since I attribute its use to nearly completely losing my sense of smell.

10. TrumpetMD

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Good advice. There was a problem with the nasal version of Zicam, which you applied to the inside of your nose. This was the product that was associated with loss-of-smell. I don't know if it's still on the market.

Mike