I'm sick

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by nickenator, Feb 9, 2014.

1. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Yes, I would recommend the lozenge. By the way, Wal Mart makes a similar generic called cold ease which is considerably cheaper in price. I know the evidence is still out on effectiveness (as doc said, research findings all over the place), but to me (famous non science comment), they work. By the way, I have a strong science background and am highly skeptical of most "voo doo" treatments- this one just seems to work.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Despite being home to lots of pharmaceutical companies, there is still a good amount of folk remedies and homeopathy being used. My wife was not skeptical of this, so when hit with a bad cold, the remedy was a hot bath with some drops from a green bottle. It smelled like a mixture of tar and mint, full of aromatic oils. After the bath it was time to put on pajamas and wrap up in a towel, get under some blankets and sweat, changing pajamas and towel when they got damp.

The other part consisted of a of drinking tea made from Artemisia annua, and it was nasty tasting stuff. I would wait for it to cool enough before chugging it down. Apparently, Artemisia does have some documented medicinal uses, especially with Malaria.

It appeared to stop colds in their tracks, possibly from a combination of placebo effect and enforced relaxation. I liked my hot Saki cure better. It didn't work any better but was more fun.

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Wipe your keyboard with alcohol when you're done......

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    To enhance breathability Breath Easy strips do open the nostrils, but I found them expensive. I'm an advocate of saline rinse. Too, I suck on Sucrets when my throat begins to gag ( I wish they still made MI-31 with the same ingredients as Sucrets that I could gargle with ). I'd also recommend a vaporizer with or without the Vicks. A Japanese bath followed by massage does feel good... IMO equal to a Turkish bath. Otherwise double-time it every chance you get on the hot water hand washing followed by a splash and spread all over your hands of 91% isopropryl alcohol. If your desk top is vinyl wipe it often with white vinegar. Drink water with a squeeze of lemon or citric acid tablet dissolved in it. Quinine tonic water addresses a fever, but alone it is very bitter. I just never developed a taste for Scotch or Gin.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Vicks day care (the orange stuff)! Take some now then right before your concert!

6. jaemard

jaemard Mezzo Piano User

Jul 2, 2012
    San Rafael, CA
    I think we're all sick, in one way or another.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I don't know about the Turkish bath, I would think it would be a pain getting the giblets out of some body crevices.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I have heard that arsenic can be camouflaged in this way.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You guys are really cool. Go infect all of your colleagues! Yeah, that is the right thing to do!

I might normally have a different attitude, but I am in the hospital and really prayed last week that no one would pull what you are asking.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Sorry for your being down and out. Hoping for a quick and speedy recovery.