I'm sorry but ican't help but ask... ?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by slimshady, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slimshady

slimshady Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2003
    I believe the answer to your question would be...Alex of Zachary Music. I get the feeling you already knew the answer.

IMO, you are just asking for a fight here. The same responses you are going to get here can be found in countless other forums on this site.

I wish everyone would keep the discussion focused on genuine questions concerning the trumpet. This site is overflowing with silly arguments that offer nothing to anyone other than those involved....making it harder all the time to find legitimate information about trumpet playing.

Can we think of nothing better to discuss? Afterall, 'whats in a name?'

2. Ash

Ash Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2004
    I dunno, I kind of like the Zeus name. It's neat how all the Zeus trumpets have a theme to their names, like the Gaurnerius and the Olympus. Better than "XY32432" or "Bach 23 Bell with 47 Leadpipe and a lightweight body"

3. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    I remember seeing an interview with Erik Buell once. They asked him why he named the company after himself. He said he had actually researched it and the compaines that stood the test of time always had a family name. The study showed that more companies using a family name made it out of the gate faster, it made the public feel better about the product becaue the family was backing it with their name on it etc.

Many people change their name for acting purposes. So what if you have a last name that does not roll of the tounge well? Do you change your name or name the product something else?

food for thought,

-marc

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Dunno about Zachary Music, but "Zeus" is the name of a custom cornet that Andy Taylor has had on his website for at least two years now. Maybe he registered the name?

5. slimshady

Nov 24, 2003
    I'm not sure of Alex's last name. If I were to guess I'd say Zachary...hence Zachary Music.

Hey man, check out my new Zachary Olympus!

What's wrong with that? Well, it's just not as catchy. Everyone knows Zeus... even if they can't spell it correctly...and who is this Zachary character. It could take years for that name to catch so why bother. Isn't Monette hindu? LOL!

Again, another pointless discussion that is somewhat fun to watch. I can't wait to see what the Zeus dealers have to say!

6. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Can't wait for a ZeuS Dealer to chime in -- OK, here it is. (Maybe I should change my name to Dr. ZeuS -- I like it!)

Maybe it is a good name. Short, named after a mythical god of power. We are talking about it, so that means something. We don't discuss why it is called a Wild Thing (even that is mentioned as Flip Oakes Wild Thing). It seems like most companies use the family name.

I was working on some logos for my website for ZeuS trombones when I came up with this visual:

[​IMG]

I removed the lightning bolt and replaced it with a trombone. He has some small fairy sized creature in his other hand -- now a cup mute. Fun. Better than talking about numbers and letters.

M&C

7. MUSICandCHARACTER

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    I do know.

I am WAY TOO OLD to be a college wind ensemble player. I have a NAMM online store, and could see just about any brand I wanted to. I'm not here to make a few "extra bucks."

No horn is "the be all end all of trumpets" now is it? A little inflammatory? Now come on. Calling serious dealers college wind ensemble players. Hmmm....

And you say we come on the boards to be silly? Hmmm ....

Two dealers have earned doctorates. Others are either professional players or top-shelf amateurs. The dealers are not college students looking to make chump change.

I cannot speak for other dealers, but I can speak for myself. I sell ZeuS for a very good reason. It is one of the best horns on the market and Mr. Zachary WORKS at keeping the cost reasonable. Ask if Monette does the same.

I also have a personal reason. I have through my research over the years found that students and people who play serious music have more depth of character. My website was started to encourage students and to aid parents. I despise crappy horns hoisted on kids and their parents. ZeuS allows me to sell the very best in horns at a very reasonable price. Player to player, I help.

You may think it is all hype, but it is not. I have demoed ZeuS horns in five different states -- and I will cover even more in the next few months. People who play the horns are amazed. Is it for everyone? -- of course not. But if you want a top-shelf horn at a reasonable price, a ZeuS should be considered.

I have built a website that has one of the most comprehensive mouthpiece charts developed from a lot of research. Article for students on bore sizes and leadpipes and how to audition. My primary motive is to help players. I must answer some 5 to 10 emails a day with questions from students or parents. I am happy to do so.

I have directed wind ensembles, community orchestras, and many church ensembles. What amazes me is that people get great pleasure from attacking ZeuS. Alex has not posted much except news lately, time to go after the dealers. If we were selling Chinese junk, we would be ignored. But we are selling the one of the best horns made in the USA instead. I guess we are hard to ignore.

8. MUSICandCHARACTER

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Really now, what is your agenda? To discuss ZeuS or to start a war.

Some early C trumpets had some problems. All, to my knowledge were fixed. Bach had plenty of quality control issues in the 90s. Did they fix all of them? Never, again to my knowledge, has Mr. Zachary stepped away from his responsibility.

Talk about current issues. Is the C trumpet flat today. No. Is it a great C trumpet -- yes. For that matter, since Bach was purchased by Steinway, the quality has gone up there.

Talk about a comment from left field.

The one nice thing about the trumpet world is that there are over 2000 mouthpieces to choose from, dozens of leadpipes, and dozens of top-shelf horns. Everyone will have their needs met if they look around and are willing to play some horns. Be nice, let others play your horn so they can get a feel. Trumpets players have several horns usually, because the cost is not too great (some brass like euphonium, trombone, tuba and saxophones could not afford this luxury).

Love your horn. Great! Hate ZeuS? Why?

M&C

9. MUSICandCHARACTER

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Let it go .......

You joined this forum today, have 11 posts, and started a war here by starting this thread and then taking it off topic. You started by saying "What idiot -- sounds like an off brand"

You have an agenda. You are correct, you didn't say "hate." You did say hateful things about the horn name, the horn, and the dealers. So why does the hype get to you? Let it go. 11 posts with lots of negativity will put you into the "troll" category before too long. My advice. Let it go. Tell us why you like your trumpet on the appropriate board.

M&C

10. slimshady

Nov 24, 2003
    I predicted this would happen. But you know what...this is exactly what txhorn wanted to happen. He probably gets some kind of thrill out of this.

TX. Don't come in here trying to be the Bush of Trumpetland.

To everyone else. I suggest we offer nothing but peaceful comments to mr.horn and sit back and watch how it lights him up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.