I'm sure this is a dumb question but, what is this thing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bill McCloskey, Dec 18, 2010.

  1. Bill McCloskey

    Bill McCloskey Piano User

    Apr 22, 2007
    Bought a new flugelhorn a few months ago and it came with this device that I've also received with other horn purchases. For the life of me I can't figure out what it is supposed to do.

    It is a metal rod : on one end it is flat and slotted adn the other end is round and curves arond like a shepards crook.

    Anyone know what I do with this thing?
  2. ozboy

    ozboy Mezzo Forte User

    Jan 17, 2007
    It is a version of a recorder cleaner for flugel horn. My advice is to not let it within about 42 cubic yards of your horn. Try putting a bend in it and see how it goes as a boomerang. If it doesn't come back, it will be a blessing.
    ColinWhite likes this.
  3. Bob Grier

    Bob Grier Forte User

    May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    It's a valve casing cleaning rod used to swab out the valve casings. I use a hankerchief pulled through the eye. be sure to hold the ends of the cloth firmly or you won't be able to pull it back through the casing. very effective when used with some Aylison cleaning solution (available at your local music store).
  4. veery715

    veery715 Utimate User

    Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I have several which came with different horns. I use an old silk scarf torn into pieces, which remove water and any oil residue after cleaning w/o leaving behind lint or "threadlets" which can hang a valve up.

    You can use the hook end to remove poor performers from the stage (of your puppet theatre).
  5. VetPsychWars

    VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

    Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I use cheesecloth with mine. A little overboard by one poster, just make sure the end is covered.

  6. ozboy

    ozboy Mezzo Forte User

    Jan 17, 2007
    I guess you mean me. I don't like the idea of putting a hard metal rod down through my valve casing. If the rag slips or you miscue then the rod can cause damage to the bore where tolerances are minimal. Any way to avoid scratching is good.I use a very soft cloth on a string. Metal on metal is not my preferred option. Sure you can be careful but i'd prefer not to risk it.
  7. tedh1951

    tedh1951 Utimate User

    Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I'm with ozboy, I too have one of these with one of my trumpets but it has never been anywhere near my trumpets, and nor will it ever be, hard alloy rod near soft brass - nup - might clean the breach of a firearm with it though.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  8. trumpetnick

    trumpetnick Fortissimo User

    Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I just put the cloth through. Never had any issue. No rod, bo problem.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  9. ozboy

    ozboy Mezzo Forte User

    Jan 17, 2007
    And, by the way, it is not a dumb question at all.
  10. fraserhutch

    fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

    Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    I've used them for over 30 years with no issues. In fact, I used to use remnants of old athletic socks. Never once put a scratch or dent in any valve, and I figure that I have on average washed a horn at least once a month over that period.

    That said, I now use a cleaning rod that comes with a soft trumpet cleaning kit. It looks like a big blue Q-tip and is great for valve casings and the small tubings leading into the valveblock.

Share This Page