I'm swamped

Discussion in 'Horns' started by bigaggietrumpet, Jan 25, 2004.

1. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Well, as some of ya'll may know, I've been looking for a new horn for mostly classical and other orchestral work. Well, my brain is just about fried! It's just too much! There's the Wild Thing, Lawler, Schilke, Eclipse, Kanstul, Conn, the list just goes ON! Does anyone know of a place in either south Texas, northeastern Texas (around Dallas), or southern Oklahoma where I can try some horns out and clear up some stuff? I know that the only way to try a WT is to talk to Flip Oakes, Bruce Lee on Kanstul and Lawler and Eclipse, I know quite a bit about Bachs, Conns aren't too hard to find, and I have actually found a place to try out Schilkes. It's just too much for a person to handle, I tell ya! One of these days they need to make an audio "ID" for trumpets or something. Can anyone help?

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    If you can hold onto your shorts that long, I'm sure there will be another Dallas/Fort Worth trumpetfest. They bring together a bunch of really superb horns (and from what I've heard, players) and just "talk shop" and blow the heck out of 'em all!

3. bigaggietrumpet

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Bad as this may sound, I've never heard of it. Would you happen to know when this blessed event might be?

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I bet someone else will get the info to you faster than I can....but "yes', there have been a couple of these events which feature boxes full of Lawlers, Callichios, a Wild Thing or two, etc.

I'll look around for the links and edit this soon as I can if someone else doesn't get back to you first.

5. drKmod

drKmod New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    Okla. City, OK
    dcstep, David Stephens of Dallas, is the one who will be able to tell you about last years.....however, a quick search on TrumpetHerald will find all the info you need about the show. Only David can tell you about future shows. Search for Dallas Ft Worth Trumpetfest...I think. You want to look at different horns, that is the place. Best Idea anyone everhad for trumpet players looking for horns. Wonder when and who started it?

Don

6. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    I'm thinking that it'll be next fall before we have the next DFW TrumpetFest. Sorry, that's so far away, but annually seems about right for now.

Here are some suggestions for now:

Call Roger Holmes at Brook Mays on LBJ. He has an exceptional selection of Bachs (not all 37s, he's got LRs, 43s, etc.), V-One, Yamaha and a few other odditities. Tell him that I sent you and don't work with anyone else there. (This is NOT because I get a kickback or something like that, BUT because BM is full of idiots when you get beyond Roger).

David Leonnig at http://www.airstreammusic.com/ has a great selection of Stomvi and Marcinkiewicz as well as a great selection of GR and Marcinkiewicz mpcs. They're talking about bringing in Chicago Brassworks and one or two other brands.

Sometimes we have some informal mini-trumpetfest at homes and similar venues. Send me your email address if you'd like to be added to my email list "DFW Trumpeter" which I put out every two or three months with various trumpet news.

Dave

7. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Bigaggie, what are you looking for in a new trumpet? Seems like you said you wanted a "symphonic" horn over on TrumpetHerald (I didn't go check your quote so please forgive me if my recall is off base). If you like the blow of that Omega, but just want a better build, then that leads in one directions. If you want something freer blowing, but still retaining a very focused sound, then that takes us in another direction. If you want free blowing and a broader sound, then... well you get the picture.

Anyway, with a little more expansion, we might help you narrow your search. Even if we had a trumpetfest tomorrow, you might be overwhelmed with all the possibilities with some sort of narrowing of the search.

BTW, which Schilkes did you get to play? What did you like and not like about the ones you sampled?

Ciao,

Dave

8. bigaggietrumpet

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Dave,

Thanks a TON! It stinks that Trumpetfest will be in November (that's when the last one was, so I'm gonna assume this for now). The main thought I had was to go and try various horns that I had already kinda narrowed down to, to play and see if any contained what I was looking for.

To answer that last part, yeah, the Omega seems to fit me kinda well (I haven't played it in a while because it's in the shop right now). But I do like the bore (.459), the only real problem, and really isn't a problem but opinion, is that I think it is too bright. I currently play on a GR Haefner 3HC, which darkened the tone from my Megatone 3C, but not enough. I would like to find a horn with a darker and much warmer tone to it, and be able to project as well as the Omega, because that thing will project over quite a bit. so any help you can provide in that area would be great.
    Thanks,
    Michael

*Edit-And please put me on that mailing list, please*

9. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Hi,

I have never played an Omega (I have however played a couple of TR300s..nuff said) and I currently play a GR 3HC*. That mouthpiece (3HC..Steve Haefner) is probably the darkest one GR make and if that sound is too bright, the Schilke's gonna pop your eyes out except for maybe the X3..my favourite and if you like ML bore horns that one's gonna swallow you whole!!

You want a darker combination stick to a Bach Strad..find a good one or Jack Kanstl put up the 1500 series (the copper bell one is a cracking trumpet) as a suggestion. The Callichio R39 and R32 series again are dark horns as is the Ultra series. I'm sure that other members will contribute their thoughts as well.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Trevor

10. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    I agree with everything Trevor said, EXCEPT the X3 is probably going to be too large for someone that likes a .459" ml. That also rules out the Selmer Paris Concept TT that meets your criteria otherwise. A smaller GR might "fix" that, but your current excellent GR could cause you range and endurance issues with a large horn.

The Master and Elite Stomvi come in ml sizes. If you can stand the wait, I'm really excited to get a chance to try the Chicago Brassworks trumpets that Airstream will have. That should be an exceptional ml horn. Hopefully there'll be one in Dallas with the next 60-days.

In the $1400 range the Yamaha 8335RGS Xeno is an excellent horn as is the Bach RG37. The gold brass warms both those horns nicely and keeps the blow in the range you're used to.

Hopefully over the next few months you'll find a horn that really lights your fire.

BTW, who's doing the work on your Omega? John Butler is excellent as is the guy (I've forgotten his name) at the Brook Mays LBJ store.

Dave