I'm taking this new medicine

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Myshilohmy, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Myshilohmy

Myshilohmy Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm taking this new medicine, and one of the side effects is dry lips. The doctor prescribed me special lip cream that has steroids in it, would this help my muscles get stronger quicker and help me get better quicker?

Also, what would you recommend for dry lips in the middle of playing? Because I will put on chopsaver about an hour before Jazz Band which lasts two hours, but the last half hour it's hard to play, what do I do? Cause I don't think I can put on chopsaver directly before I play because it will get in the horn.

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Too bad, the steroids won't give you super lips. It will help prevent injury. (No shortcuts to improvement.)

You CAN apply ChopSaver and play. Put it on and then blot your lips with a tissue. It doesn't hurt to swab your leadpipe after playing. The balm won't make it any further than just past the mouthpiece.

It also is a good idea to drink 4-8 oz. of water before and after playing. If you are allowed to keep a bottle of water under your chair you can sip it between tunes, or on long rests.

veery

3. Publius_

Publius_ Banned

Jan 21, 2009
    ----
    if those steroids turned your lips into the ones similar to Angelina Jolie that probably would help unless it were all muscle which would be pretty sweet. But from the serious aspect of things I kinda don't have much experience with things like theses even thought I was thinking of becoming a nurse.

4. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
    Short answer is no, the steroid will most likely not strengthen your lip muscles.

Long answer, not all steroids are muscle building, performance enhancing drugs. A steroid is actually a sub-category of lipid, the same group that fats are in. Steroids can range from hormones to cholesterol to the bile in the liver that breaks down fats to medicinal steroids that can have a variety of different functions. Most medicinal steroids come from plants.
    It'd be easier to say what it does if you knew the name of the steroid, since the steroid category is the closer to "miscellaneous" than any other biological grouping.

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Most topical steroids are the anti-inflammatory kind, not the anabolic (build-you-up) kind. So the answer is no, they won't help your lip muscles get stronger. In addition, any steroids used on the face are typically very mild, or used for only a short time to prevent skin damage.

Feel free to PM me if you have a private question about the medication you're taking.