Imagine......

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Dec 28, 2015.

1. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aRVlaQH2qI
    Please listen and think or imagine you are in this cathedral in Garmisch-Partenkirchen located by the Alps bordering Austria.
    Sorry to put a Black & white foreign photo on the bottom but really do you think it is the Brandenburg Gate?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    It is, or rather was last year, with a Jewish menorah for the celebration of the festival of Chanukkah, which fell more or less onto Christmas time last year (I was there).

3. BrassBandMajor

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Well I took the photo just few weeks ago :D

4. BrassBandMajor

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Whistles

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I've been at the church on top. BBM - are the Olympic runs still in Garmish? Once when I was there, I was able to go down the luge run. After an afternoon of knocking down shots of Obstler (Schnaps). It was a bit harrowing, LOL. That would be something to bring back to your peeps in Oz.

If you get a chance, there's a big church where Bruckner was the organist in the Abby of Saint Florian, near Linz. I got to hear a concert there on that pipe organ. It was amazing. You could actually hear from the sounds of the organ, some of the colors that Bruckner wrote into his orchestral music. Ask barliman about it. I don't know if you're going near it or not.

6. BrassBandMajor

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Well leaving for Berlin to listen to the Berlin Philhamonic New Years eve concert and will be going to Leipzig to Thomaskirche where Bach worked as a organist and was Thomaskantor.

7. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Color me green with envy. Enjoy!

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have played in that Stiftskirche in St. Florian. The organ is BIG and you understand Bruckners orchestral works better when you have heard it. Still, baroque works also work very well there if the organist is not just a stop puller.