Immediate help with my Trumpet please!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Blazing Asian, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Blazing Asian

Blazing Asian Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2006
    With marching band over about a week ago, and concert season starting, I put my old trumpet to rest, and took out my concert trumpet, A Bach Stradivarius. Now, I have owned it for about maybe a year and a half and my warranty is all finished up. The problem with it is the silver of the some parts is wearing and peeling off and it looks terrible, and on top of that my tunning slide, the front one is completely stuck. Anything I can do myself or will I have to send it to a music shop, and if so, how much will that cost. All comments appreciated.

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Send it to the shop. When you get it back find out how to properly care for it and then CARE FOR IT. Nothing... absolutely NOTHING beats regular cleaning, oiling and careful handling and storing.

3. Blazing Asian

Nov 10, 2006
    Trust me...I will.

Kinda an update to my predicament, I managed to get the tunning slide out by putting some grease around it and letting it sit. Any thing I do to stop the silver from going and get it back.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If the silver plate is pealing off, I would write Bach and courteously ask what to do. When brass is properly silver plated, there is nothing to peel. If the brass was not properly cleaned before plating, there will be problems.
    We have an example here at TM where Getzen deals with these problems - maybe someone here at TM has a good person to contact at Bach? 18 months is too short of a time for problems like this to happen!

5. Blazing Asian

Nov 10, 2006
    If anyone here could write a letter for me as I am only a high schooler and my parents have nothing to do with music whatsover, it would be great. I will also probably take my horn to my teacher and see what he says.

6. uatrmpt

uatrmpt Piano User

Nov 29, 2003
    AL
    I think the proper course of action is to get your parents involved -- if they will be at all -- and go to the dealer that the trumpet came from.

7. alanbach

alanbach Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2003
    South Wales U.K.
    If you bought it new, what does your warranty statement say? I bought a Bach Strad flugel back in 1988 amd the lacquer started to deteriorate after a 11 months....I took it back to the shop and demanded it to be relacquered. I still have it and the lacquer is holding out very well indeed compared to later models. Silver plating should certainly not be flaking off after 18 months unless faulty workmanship is to blame. Take it back to where it was purchased and ask for it to be replated under warranty.

8. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Well,

This story sure does shake my confidence in Bach....

Warenty or no warenty your finish should not be peeling after 1 year. I have a 42 year old King with no signs of wear at all.

You should most certainly get your parents involved and have them deal with this. You don't need to be musical to get a defective product straightend out.

9. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    can you tell us what parts the silver is flaking off?

10. Blazing Asian

Nov 10, 2006
    The long tube extending the bell has the biggest patch, on the underside of the third valve slide, the thumb grip slide, and then you can find little specs all over.

Also, the store that I bought it from just closed...if the same staff is working there I don't really know...but I might have the dealer who sold it me contact information.