Immersion cleaning frequency

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Blind Bruce, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce Pianissimo User

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    I have a newer horn and oil the valves routinely. But, how often is an immersion cleaning needed? What does this cleaning remove, old oil, built up viruses, or what?

2. bass_snake

bass_snake New Friend

Apr 10, 2009
    Stouffville, Ontario
    I heard once a month??

3. Nerf

Nerf Piano User

Dec 7, 2008
    Virginia Beach, VA
    If you're talking about "bathing" your trumpet once a month is "recommended". However, I don't know of anyone personally that can fit that into their schedule. So, I'd say as long as you're brushing your teeth before you play & making sure your mouth was "clean" that once a quarter should be fine.

4. DaveLindgren

DaveLindgren Pianissimo User

Feb 15, 2007
    Rohnert Park, Ca
    I try to bathe my horns every few weeks, although it doesn't always happen. I would say it should be done at least every few months, but monthly is advisable.

You might want to get a leadpipe swab like this one, Marketplace: trumpetherald.com, or even make your own, and run it through the leadpipe before you put your horn away for the night. Your horn will be cleaner overall, and this will prevent the deposits, corrosion, pitting, and red rot that often ruin leadpipes.

5. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    My rule of thumb: when you can't remember the last time you cleaned your horn, it's time to clean your horn. Fortunately or not my memory hasn't been as good lately....

6. Nerf

Nerf Piano User

Dec 7, 2008
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Back when I was in college there was this amazing little thing called "Spit Balls". They came in a jar with some type of "cleaning solution". They were these little sponges that "just" fit in your horn. You put them in the lead pipe, pushed all the valves down & blew hard. It went through all the slides/valves & "cleaned" it out. Not the most ideal way to do it, but it might work for the in between times. I haven't seen them in a while so I'm not sure if they're still available. Just a thought, though.

7. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce Pianissimo User

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    A further question arises from the previous replys. Since I am in a wheelchair, I cannot use the bathtub as a cleaning reservoir. The trumpet seems longer than any plastic tubs I have on hand. So are there any suggestions out there for what might be used? I will rinse outside with the hose when the weather permits but that isn't here yet.:dontknow:

8. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    I've been thinking of getting a "baby" bathtub (like we bathed our kids in when they were babies).. I am not sure if they are big enough or not, but if they are, that might be a good solution.

9. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Can you use the kitchen sink? that's what I use. I've wrtten a paper on thrumpet maintanance. I would be glad to send it to you. Just e mail me off site

10. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    I use a plastic storage box (Sterilite) - some trumpets have to be set into it at a slight angle, but some will fit without that hassle. But unless you have a low work surface and a drain at a convenient level for wheelchair use, it might be awkward. By the time you get 5" or more of water in it, it's not something you'd want to hold on your lap. If you have the option of doing it outdoors or in a garage with a floor drain, there are some good plastic cement mixing troughs available at home improvement stores very reasonably.
    A large single sink or even a bathtub will work OK, but if you're not using a plastic container, you'll want to put an old towel in the bottom to help prevent scratches.