Immersion cleaning frequency

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Blind Bruce, Apr 25, 2009.

1. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    Wish I'd thought of that, nothing major, but still. . .

For the plastic container, a couple of things come to mind:
    1. If you have a picnic table that might be a good place.
    2. I wonder it it would be possible to add a petcock to one of these (drill a hole, add a petcock - from a hardware or auto supply store, you might have to put some type of sealer around the edges of the petcock.) This might make it a little less "unwieldy."

2. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    The petcock is a great idea. You can ask for a bulkhead fitting at your local hardware or plumbing supply store. They're often used in making rain barrels, where they provide a reinforced spot to mount the hose bib. A bulkhead fitting and a plastic faucet, with maybe a little silicone sealer, would make a great drain for a plastic container even if it isn't a rain barrel.
    Maybe put a bit of fiberglas window screen in there at the fitting, too - just to keep small parts from vanishing down the drain.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    How often just depends on you. Like has been posted, brushing teeth keeps the aerosols to a minimum. If you practice daily and the horn never really dries out, you have an easier job than if you don't play often. Keep the horn in the case when not playing. That also helps it keep from drying out.

I clean once a month.

The trumpet does not have to be completely "immersed". The leadpipe and tuning slide should be able to soak for a while though. Most kitchen sinks are ok for that. I use dishwashing liquid. It seems to be good enough