Impact of a proper valve job

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BinaryHulledIon, Jan 11, 2013.

1. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    A few of you might recall me talking about my various problems with a local shop. Long story short, I wound up with my ML1-G back with the wrong felts and a messed-up valve alignment. Well, I finally got my parts from Blessing (they called me Monday morning to verify billing, and I received the parts today with an invoice marked from Verne Q. Powell Flutes) and replaced the valve guides, springs, lower felts (under the cap), and upper felts (on top of the cap).

Incidentally, the inner felt from the first valve was soaked with valve oil. Where the other two are white, it's a dark grey color. The spring from that valve was also more worn than the others. One of the felts wanted to be difficult because the valve caps are the style where the felts fit precisely within a groove. I manage to get it fitted, re-oil the valves, and check the alignment on the second valve (incidentally, the one with the felt that wanted to be difficult), and it's perfect. So, of course I wanted to try it out.

Obviously, the valve action is better, being that they're operating on new guides, new springs, and fresh oil, so I'll have to wait to gauge the improvement in that regard. Also, I'm immediately hitting a range with ease that I had been having difficulty with before, moving from barely hitting a high "A" on command (I gauge this by playing a low note and then immediately trying to hit the high; if I miss, it's not in my functional range) and manage to get up to a D before I'm having issues. This is admittedly lower when I use my YSB but that's not surprising.

Is this just psychological since I finally got rid of those ugly felts (light green on gold doesn't look nice IMHO), or does valve alignment (where it was off by maybe 1-2mm) have that much of an impact on playing characteristics?

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Yeah, it's all in your mind ... and if it isn't, where is it? That said, if the valve alignment is off, you're off. Yep, even I can't do what I want to do when I use my YSB and even though I use much better ear phones, it sounds a bit flat. I don't like any mute.

3. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Happy for you that you got your parts fairly quickly, BIH. Your account reminded me of my experience with my Super Artist several months ago. Replacement of wear parts and alignment created an obvious immediate improvement. It is difficult for me to put this horn down!:D Hopefully the horn honeymoon you are experiencing will endure.
    Jim

4. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    The YSB is more for my neighbor's benefit than my own. It's easier than finding a good place to practice, plus the echo function serves me pretty well. Things tend to get flat above a high D or so, but as long as I'm aware that it's happening it doesn't generally create a problem for me. It's also a little reassuring to know that my range is better than the YSB is letting me think it is.

Yeah, it's hard to put down. Not like I have another option of which horn to pick up, but now I'm stuck in a situation where I'm getting ready to go see friends and strongly considering the option to pack the horn up as well. But, the hits just keep coming, as I stopped by a music store that had opened recently and it seems that there's a local teacher who may be willing to take on adult students. We'll see how much of my range survives any embouchure correction.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It's not that my wife and neighbors don't like my playing the whole song(s), they don't like to hear fragments of it over and over until I have those parts the way I want them that is the reason I use the YSB when my wife is in residence which she hasn't been all day today as she works.