Importance of Fundamental Skills

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SteveMinion, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Nice comeback, Comeback

2. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Tom, you aren't yanking our chains, are you?:?: I'm with Dale on this matter.
    Jim

3. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    I don't understand why rhythm isn't on here.

4. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    That being said, I try to not consider one aspect of playing over another. We are the sum of all parts.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Okay, I'll throw in my 2 cents. It's not on the list and it's self explanatory. It's not a physical skill and so it may not count. A player has to be teachable.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The tone one expects to hear is reliant on several factors, but I'll suggest just 2: 1. Experience of the player, and 2. Quality of the instrument. I will say the softer the note is played I feel the clarity of tone is better discerned. I've experienced conditions where I'm center lined on the tuner, but I'm blaring simply because I am too loud ... and to some degree this relates to the acoustics of the space in which I'm playing, and among us there is certainly no constant ... moreso a variable mish-mash. OK now, for one to think that everyone is going to play the same model instrument and mouthpiece and blend is a fallacy from the git-go. The monkey may get close, but I'm not rewarding with any banana.

7. SteveMinion

SteveMinion New Friend

Apr 3, 2013
    I am interested with the responses so far as everyone's ranking vary significantly. This is how I would rank these skills:

1 Tone Quality
    2 Intonation
    3 Flexibility
    ----------------
    4 Technique
    5 Articulation
    6 Endurance
    7 Range

Tone quality is by far the most important aspect of trumpet playing. I cannot take a trumpet player seriously if they have a crappy tone. Tone is the skills that makes me either say "Wow!" versus "meh". I put intonation down as second because it is closely related to tone quality. A trumpet player needs to be playing down the center of their horn in order to make their best possible sound. Flexibility is ranked next due to its crucial role in playing. If a player cannot get around the different registers with ease, they will have a difficult time playing anything.

These three skills are way above the other skills in terms of their importance. I find myself practicing these three skills the most. The other skills are important too but do not come close in significance to trumpet playing.

I put range last because I am perfectly happy with a player that does not have an impressive range yet excels in all other skills. In my opinion, range is the icing of the cake. It is a shame that too many players only practice the upper register yet sound like crap. I would take good tone quality over range any day.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Control Playing with control is most important

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Breath support is a prerequisite to all the qualities you have on you list.. so I would add breath support.

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I would simplify it to P+R+S= Music--P being Pitch, including the right note and in tune. R for Rhythm is obviously playing at the right time, but that also requires finger and tongue dexterity. S is Style, with sub-sets of the kinds of attack, note connection and appropriate sound.

This boils it down to playing the right tone at the right time with the right style, and that is where our listening skills and experience come into play.