Importance of Fundamental Skills

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SteveMinion, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    What ever our differences on techniques I got in before you with that on G man and I totally a agree with out breath you can't play

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    If you're playing the horn correctly, you have a good tone.

I interpret 'tone quality' to mean nuances of bright or dark that people seem to obsess over.

Tom

3. -C-

-C- Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2011
    That depends on the audience.

4. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Thank you for explaining your point of view, Tom. For whatever its worth, you and I are pretty much on the same page. We trumpeters seem to be the ones doing the obsessing over bright and dark nuances of tone. I am not convinced audiences care much nor notice. I seem to be able to get soft and intimate or loud and brassy with each of my Bb's, which are supposed to have distinct differences in tonal character.
    Jim

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I would class tone quality as a subset of Style. As much as I loved Maynard's playing, I shudder at the thought of him playing Mahler V.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Actually, I believe you are referring to HEARING not listening. Listening is a rather passive event. You turn toward a sound then listen... the sound hits your ear drum then vibrates hairs within the inner ear, which triggers neuronal pathways to higher integrative brain function. This higher integrative brain function is what I believe is HEARING. This does take concentration to HEAR what the passage is saying. To analyze its start, progression and intent. This HEARING than allows the musician to adjust, add tone, change color, add volume, and integrate emotion into the playing... this leads to an enhancement of communication to the performance.

Jazz musicians when they "get the idea" frequently say: "Man... I hear ya... I hear what you're sayin... I hear where you're going... I hear ya."
    We can learn great integrative things from our friends, the jazz musician.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Interesting Tom... and I would tend to agree with you. Tone "quality" is a subjective assessment by the listner. The people that like the smooth sound of one player, may not appreciate the harsh edges of another player preferred mucical technique. Some people like a brighter sound so will choose styles that bring this out. Some people like darker sounds and wil choose styles that birng this out.

And many of "we" here on TM will BUY the equipment with the misconception that our tone quality fate is guarnteed to success with the right piece of equipment. I am not in that crowd. I buy equipment because I have all this cash and just do not know what to do with it!

8. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Pegged the sarcasm meter on that one.

The player herself cares a lot more about the tone character than most audience members.

Tom

9. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Fundamental Skills, Tonal Character, Sandoval

Might Arturo Sandoval be considered one of the "deans" of contemporary trumpeting? I think so. I do not necessarily like everything he has recorded, but I like a lot of it. And I respect him a great deal as a trumpeter. The video below is one many of us have had the opportunity to see several times before, but he sure makes some valuable points. The early part of the video addresses the OP's questions about fundamental skills authoritatively. And beginning at around the 7 minute mark, Arturo shares great tips concerning tonal character and style. My comeback efforts have been consistent with his suggestions in the long run, albeit with frequent, protracted, and unnecessary detours. If you have not yet taken the time to watch and listen, I suggest you do so. Your time will not be wasted.
    Jim
    Arturo Sandoval - Tip Tuesday with Jens Lindemann - YouTube

tobylou8 likes this.
  10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ahhh once again you are cutting to many truths... but should our tone be pleasing to ourselves... or to our audience... some times they are mutually exclusive... and all the time, this is a moving target. So another skill that should be a goal to set for fundamental outcomes is to be able to adapt to the venue. After all, we are artists and are performance success is determined by pleasing the audience we choose.