important question for a master in the house

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jazzcadenza, Jun 16, 2008.

1. jazzcadenza

jazzcadenza New Friend

Apr 24, 2008
    JazzBurgh!Pittsburgh PA!
    after a 24 year hiatus, I am back to practice two hours daily for the last two years. Classically trained from age 10, with strong jazz background, I gave myself time to catch up and build strength and flexibility properly, with patience, and attention to embouchure details. Now, I've made great progress, and finally a real trumpet, so I have sound again....sorely missed, but grateful for its return am I.....now, I practice thus on a comfortable schilke 15c4: slow warm-up 1/2 hr., technique 1/2 hr. and songs for 1 hour. My range has been steadily increasing as well as duration, but overplaying and burning my chops I have to avoid....Any way to safely extend my duration? your advice is priceless and timely to me....thank you sincerely in advance....

2. Athos

Athos New Friend

Mar 23, 2007
    I suggest increasing your resting time, if you're wishing for help with endurance.

You might also consider a heavy day/ light day alternation, and see if it helps your chops rebound and strengthen.

Good luck, and welcome back to the trumpet world.

3. amtrpt

amtrpt Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2008
    toronto
    HI,
    Athos said it very well. I personally can't practice more than and hour straight without some kind of rest. It's not just for my face, but also my mind needs to be rested as well. Try keeping your routine as you described it above, but split it up into three sections. 1/2 hour warm up, 1/2 hour technique, and one hours on songs. You may have already done this. If you have let us know how it went.
    Best,
    Andrew

4. jazzcadenza

jazzcadenza New Friend

Apr 24, 2008
    JazzBurgh!Pittsburgh PA!

Andrew McCandless! I'm pleased and thankful for your suggestion and prompt response. Your input means a great deal to me. I've implemented more rest time in my practice, and simply try to extend my strength - with much improvement! I say to myself "now show some respect" as if this directive is coming from the horn! and I set it down and breath, think about how I just executed a passage, my intended dynamics vs. the actual dynamics etc., and meditate on how to improve, where to focus, etc. Much benefit from resting, yet I'm still slightly confounded as to how much practice/play is too much. I've read several famous player posts on broken chops, and I realize that I'm in control of what I do, and obviously should and do know when to stop, but here's the other pressing question - how would I change this up for best results at an 8:00 pm. performance? Limit warming and practice to 1/2 hr? 1 hour? How long before 8:00 pm for optimum flexibility and power - 1 hour or two hours? I've tried different combinations in a scientific testing kind of way without much result other than to stay strong all the time! Any recommendation? Thank you again, as I can imagine your busy schedule....right now I am working a real world job (!) that keeps me at least on a shed schedule...(!) kind regards,
    david shane :D

5. amtrpt

amtrpt Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2008
    toronto
    Hi David,
    Thanks for the response. I'm really pleased too hear that you are having more success in your practicing. As for your question I really think that it is a matter of experience and learning your own playing. There is no hard and fast rule. I know that I have to practice, warm up and play differently depending on what I have to do in my job on any given day. Keep trying different combinations and I'm sure you will come up with a good balance.
    Best,
    Andrew