Improvement

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark_Kindy, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Wanted to let you all know that I've been making some good strides on the horn in the past few weeks, and wanted to thank those that have given advice and feedback on my posts! It has not gone unheeded, and has served as a good supplement.

I was working on the Haydn on Bb(all 3 movements) with my professor today. She (and I as well) was pleased with the progress of my sound in just the past few weeks. And in the first movement, I surprised myself with making the Eb (since I had begun work on good control, my range had diminished, but has since improved with better air usage).

My audition on this piece is in a few days, wish me luck! I'll try to see about getting a recording of my playing up.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Most trumpeters blow it on the first couple of bars. No rhythm or musicality for the first 10 notes or so. The first theme: half, hal, quarter, eigthrest and a bunch of 8ths is almost NEVER played correctly. That negligence recurs throughout the piece. Everyone thinks that the Eb makes or breaks the performance. I say HOGWASH. The groove, pulse makes this piece work and applies to EVERY NOTE FROM FRONT TO BACK. Superior rhythm and groove makes a cracked Eb insignificant (but to be fair - improbable)!

The Haydn is standard audition material in Germany. The first theme is what sorts out the kids from the adults. Why? Because the kids started working on this piece long before a teacher was watching. They never payed attention to small insignificant details like half notes - any baby can play them. The teachers may also not hear the problem if they are infected themselves.

3. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Indeed Rowuk, you are correct, as usual. We spent much time on just the first few bars, making sure the style and musicality was correct. Maintaining the pulse I feel is an extremely important part of all three movements especially. A very informative reply on your part, I'm doing what I can to detail this work out. I find that if the rhythm is there, then the notes do come more naturally.

I've always loved the Haydn, but never had a chance to play it before now. For the reasons you've posted, I'm glad to be able to have a fresh start with a more musical mindset (than if I had tried playing it at a younger age).