Improving sound quality

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Practice, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Practice

Practice New Friend

Aug 7, 2010
    Texas
    What is the best way to get rid of fuzzy, airy, and thin sounds?
    What kind of excersises and embechoure?

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Long tones and single tonguing exercises in the staff. Focus on balanced mouthpiece pressure, i.e., just enough so that you maintain a seal. Basic flexibility exercises will help too.

Do lots of that and keep after it. You may not see improvement in a day or a week, but over the course of a few weeks, you should.

3. sonicgeo2

sonicgeo2 Pianissimo User

I am a big believer in the power of the ear. You have to feed your ears the sound you wish to produce by listening to professionals with sounds you would like to imitate. You will absorb them, then start imitating! I found "my sound" through listening to four or five professionals whose sounds I absorbed for years.

I do agree that long tones and articulation studies are good. Aim for a beautiful sound in everything you play (even if it's scales, lip slurs, Clarke studies). Keep working!

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    That's a great point and one that I should have mentioned. I used Wynton Marsalis as my inspiration and sound model in High School. I still believe that he has one of the sweetest classical trumpet sounds (speaking in terms of solo repertoire rather than orchestral trumpet) that has been recorded. Having a good sound concept as a goal to keep in mind is very important.

5. Mark B

Mark B Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2010
    Redlands, CA
    Yes, yes and yes. I'm a big believer in the immersion method. If you hear it enough, you will know what you are supposed to sound like and you will find a way to make it happen. But, all the listening in the world won't help if you don't practice a lot.

Mark