Improving tone quality

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by canninball3, Mar 26, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    As mentioned in my post above, asking open ended questions is the best way to get to the truth from the perspective of the individuals insight.

Multiple choice formats do work BUT only if after the student provides their choose of an answer, and we then provide them with the best answer to verify whether their chosen answer is right or wrong. This is called feedback. Multiple choice questions without feedback would otherwise be worthless.

In my world of medicine, we license physicians in the USA by a series of multiple choice exams called USMLE. This exam gives areas of performance on a percentile scale, and this is reported back to the physician as to how they are performing in particular range of areas. If you "pass" by a certain standard decided by our profession in the Great US of A, your are by law allowed to lay hands on patients (that would otherwise be considered assault) and then order herbs, toxins and potions that in other hands would kill or harm. If the physician passes but knows he may still be in a lower passing percentile then s/he would otherwise desire, they have the opportunity to advance in this area through focused Continuing Medical Education.

So to clarify, "What got accomplished? Nothing." This is how we evaluate physicians after they have been trained and I have awarded them their MD degree. Are you saying I have accomplished nothing in sending these students out to practice on you the patient? I truly hope this is not the case.

Once again, my theory is that multiple choice questions do work in advancing knowledge if they are linked to feedback. So I would say in this context, Multiple choice questions accomplish something, whether used in the art of music or medicine.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    gmonady,
    you know what I mean. We are talking about beginners here with little thought behind the post. If that also describes the state of the students before the USMLE, then it also applies there. I think that we have two completely different situations here.

The first post: I have a terrible sound, the second, I have an airy sound. If I use multiple choice with descriptions like "thin sound", wavering pitch, cracking the beginning of the notes, I can lead the witness to basically anywhere that I (me, Robin) wish to go with them. That is a bit more difficult after a strenuous medical study. There we have plaintiffs with (hopefully) good working knowledge that can be expected to judge between multiple choices..

I maintain: multiple choice in the case of beginners does not give honest results and really does not show us if the poster is just blogging, or really interested. It through the power of suggestion creates an image that can be further blogged. When they take the time to describe what they hear, we get an idea what powers of analysis they have, how far their ears have been trained, perhaps even a bit of what they have for a routine and when the symptoms show up. I deem that to be most helpful

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    If you recall, my question to the original post was not multiple choice, it was an open ended question.

Now I maintain as an educator at the University level utilizing and expressing the learned phylosophy of Dee Fink: Multiple choice in the case of beginners does give honest results IF THE PROFESSOR THEN GIVES FEEDBACK. Without feedback, the multiple choice question does NOT fail. Without feedback the educator (professor) fails, NOT the student.

Fink Consulting Home Page

Now back to the student and my open ended question: What do other people say about your tone?