In Defense of Amado (and other Plunger-Style) Water Keys

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetsplus, Oct 28, 2014.

1. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    alcohol has lots of uses - very few of them totally wrong :-)

I like the Amado style keys on my Carol, although as Rowak noted above it would be nice if they cleared the water a little faster. Last night I got to try the latest model Legend and the water keys have a larger diameter plunger which I presume would give better flow.

A drop of oil when I do the valves plus the occasional clean keeps them working.

2. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    I have had Amados on my getzen, they stick, but I've never oiled them. :dontknow:

3. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    I've tried various ways to clean amados...compressed air, pipe cleaners...sometimes there just are no shortcuts. The only sure fire way I've found to get them clean is to disassemble, clean and swab and reassemble. I use the same light grease on them I use on 3rd valve slides. Hetmans medium key oil.

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Yep. I disassemble every amado on every horn I work on. I use a sax spring to get the clip on and off. It adds MAYBE 2 minutes to the standard cleaning procedure. No big deal. I use either Yamaha rotor oil (the little grey bottle) or valve oil on the key, although I have found myself wondering if a heavier oil might prevent the key from emptying properly.

5. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    Funny, I also use a sax spring in a pin vice.

6. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I really appreciate the Amados on my Blessing horns and Getzen 900 Eterna Classic, and rarely have any issues. I do clean my instruments regularly and am careful to observe good dental hygiene practices before playing them. My habit is simply to thoroughly empty water from the horn after practicing/playing and then work a little valve oil through the Amados.

Amados allow easy fast one-handed operation of valves on the main and third valve slides with little risk of disturbing the main slide setting. I do agree with Rowuk about risk of getting the left hand wet when operating the main slide valve and I try to be consistent in using a hand position that reduces that possibility. As far as completely emptying the horn of water quickly, I agree that requires more care than what lever-style keys might require. However, I do find that the Amados allow adequate emptying of the horn while playing...in my experience.

Jim

7. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    As several have indicated, I too have trouble with the emptying time on Amado water keys. They seem to have a slow emptying speed, even when blowing through the horn. And, you run the risk of dumping on your hand when trying to empty fast. Best keys for such that I have found are the side reach water keys on Olds Specials and Supers. Very nice.

8. mickvanflugel

mickvanflugel Forte User

Jul 1, 2011
    Germany
    Nothing. Unless you forget to grant yourself a swig every now and then too. ;-)

To be serious, Amado keys must always be kept clean as a whistle.

9. cmg

cmg Pianissimo User

Mar 20, 2007
    Michigan
    Almost 40 years since I purchased my Severinsen Eterna and have never had a problem. Also, my Eterna pic, purchased new, is now 36 years young, and again, never had a problem. I've got two newer Getzens, a 300 series trumpet and a 300 series cornet, both purchased used. The silver plated cornet was filthy, tarnished almost black, and had stuck slides and locked up water keys. After disassembling the Amados and fully cleaning all the contacting surfaces I've now got one Amado that actually requires regular maintenance, a drop of valve oil every four or five months. All my other Amados require nothing and have never stuck. Almost a lifetime of great experience with these water keys and no complaints.

Chris

10. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    One great thing about these style of water keys is the fact that you can open both with one hand.