In Defense of Amado (and other Plunger-Style) Water Keys

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetsplus, Oct 28, 2014.

1. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    How about Saturn water keys?

They look a little clunky, but otherwise they sound like an improvement over Amado's

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    How about plain old lever/cap water keys?

Has there been any documented evidence that Amado water keys, or Saturn keys or what have you, have any performance advantage over the traditional style?

I know some people prefer Amados because they think that it's a superior design, some people like the way they look, but I'm all about the KISS method. If I blow out a spring on a gig, or lose a cork, I can find ways to get around not having a properly functioning water key, but if an Amado falls apart, (and I've heard horror stories of that happening) what do you do?

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Saturn keys are my favourite, but at $40 a pop I can't justify more than the one that I currently have.

4. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I have the Amados on my Getzen Eterna and find they never seem to empty all the way and are a bit more difficult to empty than the cork type. I keep them clean and have no problem with them sticking, though. I agree also with Rowuk, your hands tend to get wet. I always empty both the third valve and main tuning slide at the same time. Seems more efficient to me. Couldn't be happier with the Getzen, all in all.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I have both types on a variety of horns. I keep them all clean and can't report any problems. I prefer Amados OR trombone style "water" keys.

6. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    The instruction states how to maintain the thing but who ever reads the instructions?

7. PakWaan

PakWaan Piano User

Apr 4, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I can't stand traditional water keys. I'm an Amado guy through and through. Perhaps it's because I "grew up" on a Getzen and I'm used to them. I've never had the first problem of any kind in 40 years of playing on horns with Amados.

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I'm just the opposite. I had a Kanstul flugel that I loved (CCF 925) and I'd actually considered having traditional water keys added in place of the stock Amados. I never felt like they did a good job of getting the water out and as often as not I had to spin the horn end over end to drain the water out of the bell. I never have to do that with my ACB Doubler that has traditional water keys.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Does anyone know what Flugel Arturo plays? Saw him in person and he constantly spun his Flugel.

10. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    Nothing wrong with Amados, but I like the similar design at pollardwaterkey