In need a terrific teacher!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by musickaye, Aug 26, 2009.

1. musickaye

musickaye New Friend

Jan 31, 2009
    Monmouth County NJ
    Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a terrific embochure teacher in Central New Jersey. I haven't played for many, many years and only started playing again around Feb. 2009. I need the help of a good teacher. I can play and sound great for about 1/2 hour and then it all goes down the tubes. I need to learn what I am doing wrong. I haven't improved much in the last few months and I know I should be doing much better by now. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I need someone who teaches anywhere from Woodbridge to perhaps Long Branch, New Jersey. Give or take a few miles.

Thanks everyone, I know I can count on you once again. You guys never let me down.

Thanks,

Kaye

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Go to the nearest college with a school of music. Find out who the trumpet teacher is and talk with them. If they can't take you as a student they can probably suggest someone who could help you.

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Do you have a web cam? A top of the line Logitech 9000 is only $100.00. The connection service Skype is free.

4. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I would add that it is important to find a good trumpet teacher, not necessarily find a good trumpet player. Teaching and playing, while related, are quite different and many fine trumpet players are horrible teachers and many fine teachers can't play nearly as well as trumpet players who don't teach.

A good teacher will look at you as an individual and will assess your problems and find solutions which will work for you, as opposed to simply shoving you into a pre-determined process and having you do all the same things all his/her students do without regard for whether those things are actually helping you as an individual. A good teacher has to have an analytical mind and a very flexible approach as well as a "bag of tricks" which will help to solve your unique problems. And while it might seem as if all trumpet players have the same problems (range, tone quality, volume, fatigue) in reality no two trumpet players have the same problems since no two people have the same muscular structure, dental configuration, oral cavity shape, mental aptitude, etc.

Asking around among high school and middle school band directors can yield good results -- they're always referring their band members to private teachers and may well have a list of good teachers in your area.

5. musickaye

musickaye New Friend

Jan 31, 2009
    Monmouth County NJ
    Thanks everyone,

I will try my local school and colleges. Great ideas.

Thanks,

Kaye

6. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    Go to Dillon Music in Woodbridge. They can make some good recommendations. In addition, there are a number of young graduate or post graduate students working there who would make great teachers.
    Tell 'em Jordan sent you.