in need of a bit of seasoned advice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by a marching trumpet, Jan 16, 2010.

1. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    One other quick question, is it wise to have "door busters" on your opening weekend? where you sell items for very little profit for say a fri-sun weekend to draw in customers?

2. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Most of the money made in band instrument sales is done through the rental programs with local school systems. You have to have a large stock of instruments and a repair shop. It is a huge endeavor. I've been wondering if a small business couldn't be started by buying up a lot of the beginner level horns on Ebay and Shopgoodwill. It would be a way to provide a good quality beginner horn at a price that could compete with the crap that a lot of places are dealing.

You might want to learn the repair business (a good thing for a band director to know) and run a small shop on the side, adding horn sales as you go.

Any way you look at it, you have heavy competition. I believe the main store in your are is the Music Stop. They've been around forever. They have a pretty good corner on the market on your end of Nashville and above. North of Nashville Music Central in Hopkinsville and Royal Music in Bowling Green have been around a long time and have ins at the local school districts.

Or are you talking about a boutique kind of shop with just higher end horns?

3. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Been there done that. You'll be competing with the internet and big box stores like Sam Ash. I haven't seen anybody pull it off recently without backing, like serious family money. It can be done but it has to be based more on service than inventory. Remember that the owner is the last to get paid. You might want to consider going to repair school.