in need of help....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet 101, Jan 18, 2010.

1. trumpet 101

trumpet 101 Pianissimo User

Jan 8, 2009
    Arkansas
    i have a sinus infection which has caused the right side of my face to swell. i cant as of right now, buzz or make a sound on my trumpet :-( does anyone have any ideas for how to keep my embouchure in shape somewhat for the time im out? and also, i have a clinic for the regional band i tryed out for and made that starts friday, should i not go and let the lst alternate go in my place?

2. tipo mastr

tipo mastr New Friend

Jun 6, 2009
    i wouldnt try to play in this condition. there are FAR FAR FAR too many stories about trumpet players trying to "play through" various injuries and conditions that resulted in disaster. just cool for a couple days or until the problem is resolved. If you've been out of practice for a while by that time, just carefully get back into the groove with a simple, easy routine.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    google or search TM for Eric Bolvin and Pencil. That will bridge a couple of days without having you have to suck up slime.

4. trumpet 101

Jan 8, 2009
    Arkansas
    thanks for the advice. and thanks for telling me to look up Eric Bolvin! i looked up his video on youtube and ill start today with it.

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    leave the horn alone and come back after a physician has perscribed an antibiotic and a pred pack. You don't want to mess up your ears.

6. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I know whatcha mean, its living hell and I know you can be out for a good few days even with anti-biotics, I did the pencil exercise like Rowuk said and it kept me in a little shape, not to much, I had my range back up in a week

7. trumpet 101

Jan 8, 2009
    Arkansas
    the swelling went down alot lastnight, ive been on antibiotics since sunday. i played in band (showed up for it at school for my chairtest and found out it was postponed, one of my bestfriends brothers died...) the pencil method kept my lips from going completely bad :)

8. Keith Fiala

Keith Fiala Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Amen - stay off the horn... let your body heal. You can always regain ground once you've healed.

Keith