In need of some advice...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bBullX, Dec 10, 2007.

1. bBullX

bBullX New Friend

Dec 10, 2007
    Douglas, Wy
    I've been recently selected to the Wyoming All-State Orchestra and am not entirely sure what to expect. Given that my school only has a band, my string experience is extremely limited. I've been playing on a Courtois Evolution IV and a Kanstul 1600 with a Parke mouthpiece with a Bergeron cup and a Markello backbore. Any suggestions on which horn to use and how I'm supposed to deal with the intonation of strings?
    Thanks,
    bBullX

2. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    Make sure you know your scales well...
    especially ones like B and C#, scales with alot of sharps and flats... learn em haha... Thats what alot of string music is written in.

3. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    You should have the music by now and have noted what the key signatures are. I will guess that you have a lot of sharps or flats as previously mentioned. You need to review this web site and find out on which notes you need to "trigger" the first and third valve slides to stay in tune. The conductor will ride your butt if you don't know how to use the first and third slides. Orchestra conductors don't like trumpet players that play too loud or are out of tune.

If you play any Aaron Copeland you own the orchestra. You had better be playing "Rodeo" when you are in Wyoming.

If they sent you C trumpet parts as an alternate to Bb trumpet parts you had better get a C trumpet and get practicing with it. It will help you and add to your coolness factor.

Don't expect the string players or oboe players to have the hots for you.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The difference in an orchestra is that you do not have 20 people playing the same part. That means you have to ace it 100% of the time AND you are responsible for blend. The strings cannot compensate an over eager trumpet player.
    I am not sure that I would switch to C trumpet - unless you have been playing one all along. Your most reliable playing is with an axe that you are familiar with. If you have access to a good C trumpet with few intonation issues, you can try it - it is a different world however and you will need to really focus on playing it.
    In Germany and the UK we play much more Bb trumpet in the orchestra and somehow have maintained our coolness.........................

5. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    It's not necessary to get a C trumpet - unless you have the money. That's a big investment. If you can borrow a C, that's great.

If the music is in C and you can't buy or borrow a C Trumpet, just go ahead and transpose the music up a whole step. And make sure you know your keys very well, especially the ones with more sharps. String players usually play in sharp keys, as opposed to what you're used to (flat keys). You may see a key or two that has a lot of flats, and that is mainly the composer/arranger thinking it might be easier for you to read with all those flats rather than sharps.

6. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Robin, never tire of reading your posts. Bull, let me know the concert date. I'll root you on from the cheap seats!

7. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    And actually, listen to rowuk - switching to C can mess with your ear when you have to play a different keyed trumpet (I had a conductor once that told me I just *had* to play D trumpet on this one tune...it drove me nuts, because I was used to playing Bb, and had never even played a C)......

Great advice rowuk!

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to Trumpetmaster, bBullX!
    In an orchestra we are asked to perform with a wide range of dynamics and tone colors. Sometimes we carry the musical message, sometimes we provide punctuation, and sometimes we are asked to be seen but not heard. All this gets lumped under the heading of orchestral style, most of it is learned through experience, but listening to recordings can be a huge help, provided we don't just listen to the trumpet parts but to our part in the orchestra. We may be Supermen, but in the orchestra we are asked to be Clark Kent most of the time.

Congratulations and good luck!

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    :-)

10. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    :cool: