In need of some guidance.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JC347, Sep 7, 2015.

1. JC347

JC347 New Friend

Sep 7, 2015
    So I originally played the sax and still do but switched over to trumpet in High School. Its not been two years since I began playing the instrument and Im second chair in my band and play lead for my marching band. All that info aside, I understand that I have progressed rapidly in a very short period of time, but music a great passion of mine so I want more. There are already large expectations for me and it gets nerve-wracking thinking about them. And I'm sure at some point or another some of you have been in similar situations where you had to push to become more than good. So could you guys share some of that wisdom with a young musician?

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Have fun, enjoy, work hard, and keep having fun. Be kind to other players, and acknowledge an audience.

Once enjoyment and fun are gone, give it up. Life is too short

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, JC347!

This is where taking lessons from a good professional freelance player can work wonders. Not only should you expect the right kinds of exercises to be prescribed along with tips about how to approach them, but also the exposure to someone who plays a lot better than yourself, as well as a chance to learn musicianship in a number of styles.

4. cajunrph

cajunrph New Friend

Sep 2, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Embrace the opportunity. Get lessons and be the best you can be. That was me in the 10th grade. I quit to attempt to play football. Go for it full throttle, least you wake up one day attempting to be a comeback player wondering what could have been.

5. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Welcome to TM! You have received good advice. I will add that you should make listening a personal crusade. Listen to those around you in the groups you play in and resolve to make the music produced better by complementing others' efforts. Listen critically to trumpet and other artists you admire and think about what they are doing to produce the music you enjoy, then work to filter that through your own efforts. Best wishes in your trumpeting journey.

Jim

6. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    So don't think about them.

Becoming a great trumpet player is a big thing. But big things come in two parts. They're half built out of lots of little things that individually are nothing like as scary; and half built out of a 'magic' that starts to appear seemingly out of nowhere as you build up your collection of little things mastered.

So just focus on gradually building your collection of little things mastered (typically the Arban exercises, or whatever your tutor has scheduled for you) setting a reasonable tempo target with a beautiful sound as your objective for each. And providing you are diligent and disciplined with the little stuff, the 'magic' will start to weave its way in of its own accord.

7. JRgroove

JRgroove Mezzo Piano User

Apr 8, 2014
    Kansas City
    I'm a hack comeback player and an old guy. I've heard many suggestions over the years. Some have been very good. I think the two most powerful statements I've heard about playing an instrument (any instrument) are:

1) practice as if you're performing
    2) Be the money guy.

I overheard these things told to my son who is a rising Jazz piano and sax player. He was 13 or so at the time.

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Good instruction at this point is CRITICAL. Find a teacher who is also a trumpet player, and a good one at that. When you practice, focus. When you aren't practicing and listening (very good advice above) make sure to take time to enjoy being a teenager. DON'T THINK TOO MUCH!

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    My problem as a teenager is that I sometimes I didn't think enough.

I'm still a teenager inside.

10. Yamypappy

Yamypappy New Friend

Jul 3, 2015
    Raleigh, NC
    I don't know if you believe such things; it took me a long time to come to believe them, but if your passion is music, then you have a gift from God that needs to be shared with the world. And if you understand it as a gift, then humbly go about practicing every day, and follow the advice above. As a comeback player, I take delight in the small victories each day brings, and remember (and thank Him) for each day. But remember too that on any given day, you can only do your best, so always be pleased with that. The realization that you did your best that day should relieve you of the stress and worry about others expectations.

Wade

cajunrph likes this.