In need of some guidance.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JC347, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Mellophone Man

Mellophone Man Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2010
    Scottsdale AZ
    Relax - enjoy the horn - don't worry about what others expect or think that you should be able to do. I spent way too much time when I was younger worrying about what other people would think and trying to meet their expectations (or what I imagined where their expectations). You can't please everyone, so please yourself as far as what you do with your music.

Perform as much as you can, and in a variety of settings. Play solos - play duets - play in the marching band - play in a concert band - try some jazz - play in a brass quintet - don't restrict yourself to playing just one style or type of music. The more you expand your horizons the more you will grow as a musician. Get into an ensemble (or sit in with one) that has better players and learn from them.

Listen to a lot of trumpet music, decide who you want to sound like, and work to emulate their sound.

Strive to be a little bit better each day as a player - making incremental improvement. Don't feel like you need to become a superstar overnight. No one else ever has:)) I have been playing since the fifth grade which was in 1959, and I am still learning new things about music. I am writing this in spurts while resting during my daily trumpet practice.

Never be afraid to make a mistake. Everyone that has ever played a horn has gacked on a note.

2. gdubmama

gdubmama New Friend

Oct 9, 2014
    Washington
    All of this advice is such good advice but I echo what Yamypappy said. I am not player but love to hear the trumpet played. My son is the player. You have been given a gift to share. If you play with your heart and are passionate about your playing then you will be doing your very best which is all anyone can ask for. In that your magic will happen. Play your heart out.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    In that case... use protection!

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Passion. It's all about passion. If you have the passion, you will not only reach your goals, but learn how to set new goals, and then learn with each goal attained, there is always another ahead, and you have even more passion to achieve that next goal.

5. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    -I'm my own audience

-Louis Armstrong

6. Kolupski

Kolupski New Friend

Oct 4, 2015
    ALSO IN NEED OF SOME GUIDANCE:

So I've been playing guitar for about 10+ years now and I really, really enjoy. Im currently at school for Music and have been expanding my interests in different musics as well as instruments. I can dabble on the bass and can work my way around piano and on a drum set. Recently, I've gotten the urge to buy a trumpet and learn from square one. Couple of questions for you trumpeters:

Me being a guitar player and playing all the notes with my left hand, do you think it would be worth it looking for a left-handed trumpet or would I be okay conditioning my right hand and playing on an original right-handed trumpet?

Also, I know you can't play every single note on the trumpet using the valves, but on the other side, can you ONLY change pitches using your lips? or are there some notes where you can JUST push down certain valves to change the pitch?

Basically just want the breakdown for that!

7. Mellophone Man

Mellophone Man Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2010
    Scottsdale AZ
    First question is - are you right handed or left handed? If you are right handed, it is an open and shut case that you should start with a standard trumpet. The only reason to think about a custom left handed trumpet (leadpipe on left, bell on right, 2nd valve slide on left) is if you are left handed to the point that your right hand can't do much of anything. And you will almost certainly spend a lot more money for a left handed trumpet.

You are already using both hands on the guitar.

Regarding pitches - some notes are played open (i.e. none of the valves depressed), and other notes are played using various combinations of the valves (one only, two only, one and two together, etc.). You always change pitch by using the valves. You can alter the pitch of a given note up and down a bit with your lips, for example to bring it better into tune, but pitch changes from one note to another are always accomplished using the valves. Hope this helps.

8. Kolupski

Kolupski New Friend

Oct 4, 2015
    Great info man! Thanks a lot for this

9. Newell Post

Newell Post Piano User

Mar 31, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    Forget about finding a left-handed trumpet. They do exist, but they are extremely rare, custom built, and expensive. If you really want a left-handed instrument, try the french horn. They are almost always left-handed. When I was in college, the horn professor had a paralyzed right hand. Didn't slow him down a bit.