in or out?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BigDub, Feb 8, 2014.

1. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    What seems to work best for storing your horns while not playing them? Inside a case, cooped up, or on a stand, out in the open?
    I can see advantages to either one of those, as well as problems. I keep my horn in the case whenever I'm not playing it, slides all in, to keep the grease from drying out.
    The reason I ask this is because I often have a lot of moisture in places left over from the last session, and I think if I left it out longer it would eliminate that somewhat. Thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not sure it really matters, but for the record, I'm an inie.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This morning when I got up, it looked so good out, that I decided to leave it out all day.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    PS: Wasn't even wearing my baggy pants at the time.

5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I only store my horns in cases. Too many bad/unfortunate things can happen if they're on a stand or shelf all day.

6. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    BD,

I store mine in cases too. I generally just have one out at a time. When I finish for the day, I drain the horn, wipe off the mouthpiece shank, and provide a couple hours of air drying before putting the horn/mouthpiece in the case. Depending upon local climate and atmospheric conditions, simply leaving a plated horn out all of the time encourages tarnishing, doesn't it?

Jim

7. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    How about rinsing, blowing through with a hair dryer (not too hot) and keeping a few bags of silica gel in your case?

A trumpet on a stand in a dark room sounds a little like an accident waiting to happen.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I keep them all packed up when not in use. I swab the tuning slide and lead pipe after use and wipe the horn down.

9. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    What tobylou8 said! Slows down the tarnish too, not to mention red rot.

10. PiGuy_314

PiGuy_314 Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    In the case or in my hands. :)

~Noah