in or out?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BigDub, Feb 8, 2014.

1. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    thank you all, very helpful- except for Doc, who will be delegated to a time out for his comments.

2. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    My L-12, Committee, SR, Super, and 3Star sit on stands along the wall. I play all of them most days. They are too much fun. The rest are in cases.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    From a chemical supply I've acquired a gallon size container of silica gel replete with the indicator. With this I fill recycled pharmacy vials that I have drilled perforations in. Spread on a microwave plate and microwaved, this silica gel can be regenerated for continued usage.

Left in even empty cases these vials filled with silica gel reduce the potential of a musty foul odor developing, unfortunately not as well in heavily padded multiple instrument cases unless a vial is in every compartment.

A snake brush may be useful for an instrument bath, but it does little to reduce moisture, as in fact leaves a residue of it. The leadpipe swab isn't that great at removing all of the moisture either, but certainly becomes icky after several uses.

After a bath, I use gun patches pulled through each piece of my instrument with nylon fishing line attached to a small torpedo fishing sinker that is threaded through the tubing, first these patches are dipped in 91% alcohol which is also a solvent removing lots of grime, continuing with clean patches until when removed they reveal little grime, and give about a half hour alcohol evaporative rest. Then this is followed by still more patches soaked in fine machine oil. Only then is my instrument re-assembled and in doing so re-lubricated.

Still, with this foregoing process, I won't say I've stopped red rot, but I do believe I've slowed its progress and I can open one of my cases without wearing a gas mask.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I like to leave my horns in sight, on hooks or stands. That way I can practice on the spur of the moment, rather than talk myself out of going to the trouble of unpacking--then it seems like work.

5. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Bigdub,
    That's easy!
    Once I come home, no matter how beat I am, the first thing I do is to unpack my trumpet. Why? Out of sight, out of mind. I also require my 10 yr old daughter to do the same thing when she comes home from band.
    Dr.Mark

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    When I move into my new house, we will be getting an Amish hand crafted curio cabinet that will house all my horns behind glass. Behind said cabinet will be a beautiful painting by BigDub, the one that has put me in time out.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    No the question is What? Then what do you do with it? Leave it on a stand on the floor next to the dog crate? Place it in a lighted niche for all to see on display? Inquiring minds need to know what is done once you release it from the confines of the restrictive case.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    But you know, a quick unzip and a pull is such a cool way to pull a horn out of my Torpedo bags. Kinda like hunting with your rifle in the quiver, waiting to be quickly retrieved to take down what is fair game.

9. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    Any horn that I will not be playing for awhile, I clean thoroughly, let dry disassembled for a day, oil, lube, and re-assemble, then store in case (silver horns inside a silver tarnish retardent bag within case).

My daily player(s) I usually leave on the stand in a safe spot, every couple days after playing, I flush slides and leadpipe with water in kitchen sink, run an alcohol soaked leadpipe swab through leadpipe and main tuning slide (takes about 5 min.), then leave on stand with main and 3d tuning slide off in a safe place to allow to dry out.

I like Ed's silica idea.

...........I hate redrot.

10. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Did you bring your laptop or tablet to timeout with you? How did you post? Now your time out is extended. Sorry I had to do that.