in or out?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BigDub, Feb 8, 2014.

1. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I'm changing the thread.

"How far can we go from the original thread?"

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Back to business...

I don't leave any of my horns out. When I finish playing any of them, back in the case they go. If I'm putting one in the case for weeks/months, then I'll leave the case open for a day or two to let it dry out, oil the valves, and push all the slides in and put it away.

3. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I keep the one that I'm currently playing out on a stand. I've always done that, regardless of the instrument (e.g. flute, sax, whatever). I do that for incentive. Makes me feel good and encourages me not to ignore picking it up and practicing.

All others stay in a case (after airing out after playing), if they're not currently in use.
    One thing to avoid - putting a "wet" horn in a closed case where the retained moisture may cause some problems for the instrument and/or the case.

4. odd67ar

odd67ar Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2010
    Oslo, Norway
    I use to rinse them out, let them dry for a while and leave them in their case:-)

5. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Gman,
    You asked:
    "Inquiring minds need to know what is done once you release it from the confines of the restrictive case."
    ------------------------------
    We have a big Lowery church organ that we put our horns on because we have nosy rottweilers that will knock them over if we put them on stands. I put a thick cloth on the organ's flat surface so the horns and the organ won't (hopefully) get scratched. The rest of the horns are on stands if a safe dog free room.
    Dr.Mark

6. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi RRvancil,
    You asked:
    "Isn't time out suppose to be 1 minute for every year of the offender's age?
    Now is that chronological, physical, or maturity age?

---
    Actually it's in dog years. That means Gman is in the dog house for quite a while. Fear not Gman, I'll slip a little single malt in your water bowl!
    Dr.Mark

7. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi BigBud,
    You asked:
    ""How far can we go from the original thread?"
    ----------
    I tried other thread but the thread used on these pair of socks is such that I need to look for the thread that was originally used. Darn it!
    Dr.Mark

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    What a great act of social responsibility, using a protective barrier for your organ!

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I put mine in their case each time I'm done with them. I periodically get them all out and put vaseline on the slides and oil the valves (couple times a year for the ones that I don't play ROFL ROFL ROFL

10. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    I push the tuning slide in, blow as much moisture out as I can (some comes out the bell), lube the valves (if I won't be playing the horn again for a couple of days - otherwise I lube the valves before I play) and the Amado water keys, dry out the mouthpiece and bell with a twisted facial tissue, wipe the mouthpiece and horn down with the appropriate protective cloth, and put the mouthpiece and horn back in the case. I really don't care for dents, and leaving the horn out seems to me to be an invitation for Murphy to do his evil magic. For longer-term storage, I blow Herco Spitballs through the horn after lubing valves and Amado keys and put the horn away without drying it out. Each horn gets the Spitball treatment after about a week of play, regardless.