In our minds

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Mar 27, 2015.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Anyone ever notice mostly it happens when you are working on a new piece of music .....ex.
    for me in Arban Art of Phrasing I play something that is a simple tune at first it sounds bad but after a few plays it sounds better is it cause your getting familiar with the tune or like me in my mind I say to myself this can sound better and it does it starts to sound better

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I believe it has more to do with muscle memory. The more your development of muscle "remembers" the more you can concentrate on the more technical tasks it takes to get through the phrasing... like listening to yourself and appreciating the direction win which you are going.

3. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    ---
    Hi Anthony,
    Usually if I hear a song once or twice, I've got it. How is that? Kinda like Gman said about Muscle memory(MM). MM deals with what you've already learned. All those scales, arpeggios and various exercises and songs have "wired" you to know what intervals sound like and what valves to push (even if you don't know them by name) to make it happen. So is this ability in your mind? Absolutley.
    Dr.Mark

4. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Hi Dr.Mark I get it, its all the things we learned combined Arban Clarke Stamp etc.all the exercises that we do in Arban makes sense, thanks for input Anthony

5. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hi Anthony,

generally when we play something for the first time we can have a hard time if we didn't look at it seriously enough before playing the first note. There are many things in life that should be mentally prepared to a degree that we DON'T make a mistake. Getting married is a good and bad example of this. I think that site reading is doomed to failure if we have not practiced the study of scores. We register the hard parts and then adjust tempo and dynamics to make it right form the beginning.

Nothing should EVER be "bad" the first time around if we are tuned into our personal skill level. The first shot can be slower than optimum, but NEVER bad!

7. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Define "bad." I'm sure that even the pros play something better the second time around. I'll take their "bad" for my "best" any day!

8. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    For me, as I hear the tune a few times (playing it myself) I start to internalize it more as I am getting familiar with it. Then it starts to sound better. If you think about it, the best players out there with a lot of expression (like Botti), I'm sure they practice the tunes many times before actually performing them. Can you imagine just going up on stage expecting it to sound good without practicing? Silly. I think home practice is same, the first time cant and never will sound good like the 100th time.

9. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    I am sorry I meant " bad" not in bad tone instead I mean rhythm or time ex.6/8 or 12/8 Arban has pieces that or short or even longer songs in the Art of Phrasing that are a wee bit tricky. But after a few plays a little coaching from my teacher sometimes it gets better. That is what I meant to imply, thank you Anthony

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Thanks for the clarification. Still, the quality of the first read is directly related to how well you know your own playing. Take the bodies/brains message seriously when that first read is frustrating. Simply slowing down can be a BIG help.