In praise of Rusty Russell

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mike ansberry, Feb 3, 2013.

1. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
  2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The link doesn't seem to work any more. We just did a gig at the Nighttown in Cleveland. Our leader had us play through two sets (and the break that was to happen in between). It was a 2.5 hour set. Lasted the entire time without loss of accuracy on hitting notes. I did it the old fashion way. I practice every day for rather intense playing for 1-2 hours, and rehearse with the quintet twice a week for 3-4 hour sessions. Sometimes endurance by working out the old fashion way does the trick. Also, I do not over blow... use comfortable equipment... use mics in large rooms to provide volume... and massage my lips between songs and during rests while others are soloing.

3. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    +1 for the 19/30s exercise, I have been using it for a couple of years, recently I have started using the same patten ascending from the third space C, this is much more taxing.

We have the same problem with our Big band director, he gets carried away when we are playing for a dinner dance and the sets extend to 90 minutes continuous playing.

Regards, Stuart.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Link works for me, maybe the exercise will too! We'll see! :-)

5. Ironman

Ironman New Friend

Dec 8, 2009
    I wish I'd known you were playing Nighttown. I'd have come out to see ya!

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    We were just there the last weekend in January. We will be back for our fourth gig there... I believe Jim Wadsworth is looking sometime in the Fall. It'll be great to meet you.

7. wiemelen

wiemelen New Friend

Feb 5, 2013
    Belgium
    +1 for the exercices.
    All my teachers told me to play long notes when warming up ... because it would improve sound etc.
    But they were referring to playing only a few long notes at the beginning of a lesson.
    When I use the 19/30 method, it keeps me busy for quit a while.
    Some fellow musicians say I'm crazy and annoying playing those monotonous notes for so long.
    I can only say that using his method and way of blowing increased my endurance enourmously.