In response to "why I love?"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by R.T. Swing, Feb 18, 2011.

1. R.T. Swing

R.T. Swing Pianissimo User

Feb 6, 2007
    UK
    For myself, it is never about "who or what or on which instrument" but about the integrity of the music being made. ALWAYS!
    :evil:

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    AND from your most excellent signature, about whether you actually HEAR the integrity. Until we hear it, it is never really appreciated, only sensed.

3. R.T. Swing

Feb 6, 2007
    UK
    As I always tell the children I teach: Listening is an activity you need to work at!

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Listening is a good starting point, especially when working with children, but when working with adults, we must also teach them to hear.

5. R.T. Swing

Feb 6, 2007
    UK
    You can teach children to hear!

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    From my perspective as pediatrician, I would have to agree with you, but it takes more patience, creativity, listening and hearing skills of the teacher to effectively work with children. Adults tend to be a little easier in getting them to hear, but sometimes the many years of bias can make getting adults to hear a little difficult at times, and this comes from my perspective as an internist.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There are times where being human has its advantages - wild abandon, High C train wreck.

As much as I mostly post the serious part, there is the "other" side which is every bit as important, but not necessarily "trainable". I can honestly say that it is many times behind the horn about ME as much as about the music. After all, it is OUR interpretation, our technique, our stage presence. This can be an added dimension to the performance as a whole.

If we venture into the land of entertainment, there is a ton of money to be made by being "flashy". That does not have to exclude quality playing, but through history, there has been enough examples of fine entertainers that made their mark with their wardrobe..........

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    that made their mark with their wardrobe..........

...or wardrobe failure as in the case of a famous Jackson family member.