In the zone?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by redintheface, Mar 10, 2014.

1. redintheface

redintheface Pianissimo User

Nov 8, 2010
    Bath, UK
    Spurred on by a post in which Rowuk was talking about breathing, and keeping the mind out of the way, I wondered how many of us have experienced a "transcendent" state whilst playing? By that I don't mean that your long suffering partner hit you over the head with a skillet for playing those high notes too many times! More that you are so in tune (excuse the pun) with what the group is doing, you don't need to think, you just play.

For example (and the only one I have actually) - I was 16, playing 2nd trumpet in our high school Jazz band, and I instinctively knew what the 1st trumpeter was about to play while he improvised, so much so that I could have played alongside his solo. I didn't, because it was his solo, and you NEVER piss off a trumpet player haha!

I figure that small groups might approach the same state of like-mindedness, if you want to put it that way, but has anyone experienced it?

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I call it "mind-melding," Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi calls it "flow." Maslow called it a "peak experience." It's real and very pleasant.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Every time I take a solo with the quintet. The actual jazz term is "in the pocket". It's not about listening. It's all about hearing. Once we can hear, we can play in the pocket.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    It's musical orgasm! I sat in with a big band last week to sub for a friend. The gave me a token blues solo, heard what I could do, then threw solos at me left and right (First time I ever played Children of Sanchez - wow what a great big band chart). After I played the solo on "St Thomas" to which I threw in a lot of calypso rhythm vamps entwined with improv lines the female band leader announced me as the soloist, by stating, "I don't know what it is, but I want what he is having!"

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    In the flow or in the pocket, it's a great place to be with a band. It's even better when you there with a congregation!

6. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Edit...oops wrong thread!

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    With God, you're ALWAYS in the pocket.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Please do not confuse automation with the fourth dimension ( 1st=loud, 2nd=fast, 3rd is high ). When we commit the necessary patterns of breathing and body use to becoming habit, we have a toolbox that allows the creative juices to draw on. I was only referring to automation. The creative process is something that can draw on our habits, but is not limited to them. Playing is never automated ( or at least should not be ). My personal highlights were not trancendental. I still see every note. Those top experiences were like seeing the whole score at once.