In tune trumpets?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Zach, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Zach

Zach New Friend

Aug 23, 2012
    Hi :-)

I was born with 1 hand, so I can't pull out the tuning slide for chronically out of tune notes such as c#. Are their trumpets that are better when it comes to being automatically in tune?

I know the answer is that no perfect trumpet exists that requires no moving of the tuning slide. However, not being able to move it, I am just asking for trumpets that excel at intonation

2. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Merely one idea, Zach, concerning certain vintage instruments. Some of them were made to be "lipped" up or down in order to play in tune. 1st and 3rd slides were made to be adjusted, like the main tuning slide, to a position that would permit an individual player to do this with the least effort and distortion. I used to have a 1950 Blessing Standard Bb trumpet that was set up in this fashion - and the approach worked too! The old Blessing was a surprisingly good player! Best wishes to you in your effort to obtain a workable solution for your circumstance!
    Jim

3. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    My older model B and S Sonora is a cracking horn despite being a fairly narrow bore and all I do with that is leave the 3rd slide out about a quarter inch and listen very carefully and lip it in from there. What I find is that it brings the normal duff notes in tune then say Ab is a little under but I find it easier to lip up than down.

4. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Pull out your 3rd slide a bit--should be enough to make low "D" and "C#" in tune. "Eb" and Ab" will be a little flat, but it's reasonably easy to lip them into tune. Works for old flugelhorns that lack a 3rd valve slide trigger too. It would be perfect, but you should be able to work it out from there.

5. Zach

Zach New Friend

Aug 23, 2012
    Thanks All. You're all awesome!

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And there are always false fingerings.

7. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Yes, the lowerDb is your biggest difficulty. While most horns today come with first slides, I played an Olds Super for most of my career and it did not have a first slide- never needed it. Personally, the Olds Super and King Liberty horns play very in tune. I use both today - liberty for daily practice, Super for jazz band.

8. RRVancil

RRVancil Piano User

Sep 24, 2009
    Littleton, Colorado
    Hi Zach,
    How about using a first valve trigger ? This would help with C# and D. G# wouldn't have to be lipped so much, and the only note you'd have to worry about would be D#.

9. FrenchBesson

FrenchBesson Pianissimo User

Jul 2, 2008
    Elden Benge made a first valve trigger that one pushed. It is a little pearl button that one pushes with the left thumb. Zig Kanstul may have a few around. They were installed on some Burbank Benges.

10. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Buescher instruments play very well in tune, some better than others. The horns I've personally played, made between about 1935 and 1960, are very easy to lip in, the low D for sure, and the Db can be with a little practice. These instruments are somewhat rare, so if you can find one and it suits you otherwise, you should be able to work well with it.

James Burke played Buescher instruments... some were stock and some were factory modified for him, as he had to use his left hand. That's quite an endorsement, in my view.

Tom