In tune trumpets?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Zach, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Slide trumpet? :-)

2. tjcombo

tjcombo Mezzo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    My 23 Holton doesn't even have a third slide adjuster and the intonation down low is fine. Better than any of the other horns below.

3. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    As has been said, vintage trumpets have better intonation on the lower notes. The third valve crooks are longer. Let me also add old Conns (1950 or earlier) as having easier intonation for someone in your situation. I applaud your tenacity and will. Good luck

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    If you go back far enough, you'll find trumpets that don't have slides that are meant to move .... My 1924 Martin Handcraft has no way for the player to work the slides. There is no intonation adjustment, you lip everything down. The horn itself makes this easy by having slides that are designed longer, as a sort of compromise, and slotting that is wide open.

Modern horns tend to have tighter slotting, which makes lipping down (or up) much harder. My old trumpet teacher, 1st trumpet in the local symphony, thought the Martin was the best of all the great horns I brought in for him to try (including a Getzen Severinsen, Olds Recording, Conn 38B Connstellation, etc...). He also said that every trumpet player, in his opinion, should learn how to lip notes to where they need to be. An openly slotted instrument is a blessing to make this happen.

Turtle

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The wisdom of the Turtle is very fine... very fine for sure.

And Turtles, being amphibious, can disarticulate their jaws, allowing them to lip so much better than us mortal folk. A valuable advantage fo the Turtle to have over the rest of the trumpet world, a valuable advantage indeed.

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I have a few older horns (and one flugelhorn) without "on-the-fly" intonation aids. I just leave the 3rd slide pulled out about 1/4" and lip the notes into tune.

7. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    I don't understand the question...

...everything I play is in tune naturally....

NOT ROFL

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Disarticulation before articulation, I always say! :D

Turtle

9. Juarez-MA

Juarez-MA Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2012
    Like everyone else said, there are no instruments that are completely in tune. The way harmony works, we always have to be adjusting.
    C trumpets for example usually have flat Ebs and Es at the top of the staff. Sometimes, that intonation is required (although not too often) and sometimes you have to adjust pitches out of tune to play in tune with a less competent musician.
    I am from the school of trumpet where the instrument is essentially made up of your lips. I had a parent even that said his son was playing a kazoo then...
    At any rate, if you can sing the notes in tune and buzz them in tune, they should play in tune when you pick up the trumpet. Of course, that means some notes will be out of focus but trade-offs.

10. Amir

Amir New Friend

Mar 7, 2009
    Israel
    I believe that with out any use of tuning slides, something will be at the least less then perfect.
    or the tuning (if you play in the center of the pitch of the instrument) or the sound (if you lip it in to tune).
    there are trumpets with a lever that is connected to the main tuning slide. it's usually called pitch-finder
    if you go to a good tech, you can do it with some way of making it controled with the right thumb maybe?
    I'm sure there can be a solution.

you can also get a natural trumpet, and go authentic. I think it's cool. :)