In your opinion (and for comparison's sake)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Heavens2kadonka, Jun 27, 2004.

1. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    you are talking about:

Mahler songs for trumpet, 12 lyrical sketches drawn from the songs of Mahler, arr. by Robert Thompson

I love to play no. 1( mahler 2 4th mv.) with the CSO Solti CD I have.

Hans und grete is nice to but i prefer to play the real post horn solo.

2. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    Dr. Fox,
    If you'll front me the money for the Monette (so that I can be great) I'll come by your church for two sacred concerts and either a Christmas or Patriotic concert---for the next five years. Whadda ya think?

(BTW---I WON"T be playing that overpriced hunk of metal at the concert. I'll be playing my beloved Constellation) :lol:

Bill

3. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    OK, OK, you can be great without a Monette (if you brought it to my church, the Bach lovers would not take it kindly -- and me being a Holton guy -- well -- we would have to pray for you!). Calling them overpriced gets you off the hook. You still need a modern horn, or have played several and denounced them as evil. I personally would recommend the Holton Firebird or the ZeuS Olympus. Both great horns that you will either love or hate.
    [​IMG]

Jim

4. mheffernen5

mheffernen5 Pianissimo User

Even though I'm rather stupid I'll take a guess...you probably will have many trumpets after high school. Probably a trumpet in a few different keys and one that is a piccolo. And trial and error w/many different mouthpieces

5. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    I dunno. I've met some college players who've played on the same trumpet since junior high. I've also met those who have more trumpets than quakers have oats....

Of course, if I could, I would own me an assortment of trumpets too. Just gotta keep hoping some relative I've never known dies and wills me a million dollars and a haunted mansion in rural Pennsylvania....

6. Dave Payn

Dave Payn New Friend

Jan 20, 2004
    Isle of Arran, Scotland
    The unanswerable question.......

7. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Aye, one of the best baritone players I've ever met, at the time had only been playing the instrument for two years, and it had been his first brass instrument (!!!!).

While I'm thinking about it, doesn't it piss you off, those who can advance seemingly so much quicker with seemingly so much LESS effort!??!