Incoming freshman

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by zhold67, May 4, 2014.

1. zhold67

zhold67 New Friend

Mar 20, 2011
    Ft. Thomas, KY
    Thanks the responses. I am currently taking ap music theory in my high school and have the exam next Monday. So my basic theory knowledge is pretty strong heading in. I plan to work on piano this summer as well. Unfortunately NKU doesn't have a marching band, but a pep band for basketball games and so on. I will definitely be participating in that!

2. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    For me "unfortunately" would not have been a negative. I hated marching band - as a matter of fact, had very little of it because of that. BUT . . . for a music education major learning everything about it is a must. I live in a state now where you could go homeless if you are a band director looking for a HS or college job without marching band. The pep band will be good experience, especially if you can grow into being one of its leaders, but find a way when the time comes, to learn as much as you can about marching band. Maybe even looking into summer programs at other schools.

(Gad, just writing that was a dagger through my heart. :D)

3. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    - Freshman year can be a very disorienting experience, couple that with a heavy workload and it can often be a disaster. Take it relatively easy your first semester and ease into the college experience.

This is just a general rule and does not apply to everyone. If you feel you have the work ethic, by all means, take on a full course load.

- Practice your ass off this summer; prepare as much significant repertoire as you can so that you have a "bank" you can pull from when things get stressful for juries/recitals, etc.

- Practice your ass off on piano before you get to college.

- Take the advice of your professors, they have been around and, for the most part, know what they're talking about.

- Try your best to be diplomatic and reasonable in an ensemble context. There WILL be drama. No one wants to work with someone who can never concede.

- Have some fun, college is about learning how to 'life' too.

- Everyone's in their own place at their own time.

- Don't let us performance majors hassle you too much. :cool:

- Follow your heart. Do what you love. All that mushy stuff.

4. zhold67

zhold67 New Friend

Mar 20, 2011
    Ft. Thomas, KY
    Thanks for the advice! It is greatly appreciated. From what I've heard, first semester is pretty much the same for every music ed major. I think once school actually starts I won't feel as freaked out about what to expect.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yep, thanks to the local bars in Ft. Mitchel!:lol:

6. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    Wrong side of town. Skyline Bar is almost on campus, unless the closed it. Haven't been out that way in a while. I'll forgive you since you're from the wrong side of the Ohio river.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    True, we are on the side of the river with stores that sell shoes!

8. trumpetguy27

trumpetguy27 Mezzo Piano User

May 30, 2008
    Maryland
    -(
    But they sell Getzens instead of Adams!!! WTH???:dontknow::thumbdown::noway:

9. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    My grandmother used to have a saying about what you can do with a buckeye you can't do with a briar. I can't answer it here, though.

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown