Inconsistent Older Trumpet Player Here

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by deano56, Nov 24, 2013.

1. deano56

deano56 New Friend

Nov 23, 2013
    Morris, IL.
    Hello, first time poster here. Being that I am 57 years old now I feel that I have a limited time to play the trumpet or even trying to improve, I feel limited there too.All that being said maybe a little background, I played 1-3 chair in the trumpet section in high school, I could have been 1st chair consistently if I would have practised more and wasn't fearful of competition. Since high school I have been hit or miss with playing, my playing consist of playing in church and that might be just 4-5 times a year. I would like to improve my playing in the upper registry some, (nothing crazy high though) but a couple or three notes above high c. Right now I play LaBlanc 707 sonic, and to tell you the truth, I don't know if it is a decent trumpet or not, but I believe I have good tone quality with it as long as I practise consistently. After looking at youtube videos about proper mouth/lip position I'm not sure that I have ever been taught that, which has lead me to consider the pencil method. Would I see a difference in anything with a higher end trumpet?

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Hi deano56. Welcome to TM.

A lot of us here struggle with consistency. So you're not alone. I can't comment on the equipment you have, so I can say whether a higher end trumpet would help. But I will say that a consistent practice routine is likely to be more helpful than an equipment change.

Mike

3. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Welcome to TM, deano56. You have all kinds of potential at your age. I started my comeback at age 58 and have been pleasantly surprised at my progress. Your LeBlanc 707 Sonic is a fine trumpet that is still sought after by some. It was my first pro trumpet 46 years ago and there are times when I wish I still had it. Good luck and keep it fun!
    Jim

4. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    You have already be given one of the keys to improvement which is consistent practice, but another keys is to get a good private teacher and do what he tells you. Do not believe that at 57 you can't get better because that is simply not true.

5. deano56

deano56 New Friend

Nov 23, 2013
    Morris, IL.
    thanks for the replies, I guess I feel encouraged and I'll keep playing this horn. Any recommendations on a teacher in the Joliet, IL. area or?

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi deano56,
    Welcome to TM, stick to playing the horn and mpce you have. I am the same age as you, and play in a Big Band, Concert Band and Light Orchestra. Playing with others and making music together is a blessing - make the best of it. Too old - NEVER.

There are good resources on YouTube and even if you look at other bands in your area, you may find a teacher in one of those bands.

Pencil, Buzzing etc are all techniques, but mouth to horn is where the music happens. Get as much time on the horn as you can. Turn off the TV and listen to music - that is a good way to help get motivation. (says me sitting in front of the TV typing into a PC)...umm

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, deano56! You'll find lots of good information here and some fun stuff as well. Nothing wrong with trying out different trumpets, and if you notice a huge difference it might be worth looking into a new horn.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Welcome ... and while you are figuring all this out, pick up the Clarkes Technical Studies and a metronome, Do exercise one everyday tongued for a week... then the second week do exercise 2 tongued ... etc

9. deano56

deano56 New Friend

Nov 23, 2013
    Morris, IL.
    I'll keep using what I have for now including a Giardinelli 17m mouthpiece, I have a Bach 7c which makes great tone but limits me hitting any higher notes. I'll just keep practising. I would like to take a mouthpiece to a place with many different trumpets just to see if anything better happens.

10. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Hey 57 isn't too old. ...I cameback at 58 got the Trumpet bug haven't played since I was 23 .Started taking lessons at 58 teacher was a pro But he couldn't teach his way out of a paper bag"...got a new teacher much better, now I m almost 63 Dec.I still don't play as well as I would like to but still trying maybe by the time I'm 83 I will be a pro. I really would like to play Hayden Concerto. .
    age should not make a difference. Good luck to you Anthony